lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
walts
Not Yet Wild

Post Backfire

I have a 1997 gas ezgo, when I start slowing down it backfirea once or twice, is there a certain length on the throttle linkage rod? The throttle plate might not be closing all the way.
walts is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
pnshvl68
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Backfire

Yes there is. You need to make sure the throttle is closed when no throttle is given. When you depress the gas pedal, no throttle movement should acure till the starter generator is engaged. Then there should be movement.
pnshvl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
pnshvl68
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Forgot to tell you the linkage in front of the timming belt cover should sag. The two socket ends thread in and out.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #4
walts
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I understaand but how can I tell if the throttle plate is closed, is it not on the back side of the carb.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
pnshvl68
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

There should be a idle screw on the carb by the throttle. I usually take that off no need for it unless you want it to idle but thats a hole differant story. You will see that the throttle is closed all the way by looking at that. Even when you take the rod off in front of the cam belt cover you will know.The rod should be longer than the two balls that the sockets connect to.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
walts
Not Yet Wild

Thanks again I will give that a try
Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #7
pnshvl68
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
walts
Not Yet Wild

It seems like it worked, but when I took out the idle screw it seemed like it ran a little rougher. I took off the throttle rod, and let the throttle plate close, I adjusted the rod to be about 1/2" longer then where it hooks to the throttle linkage. It won't hurt anything if I leave the idle screw out? One other question. Do you knownthe size of the valve cover bolt? I know that it has a 10mm head. I think it's a 6mm bolt but I don't knowb the thread pitch. Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
pnshvl68
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It is a 10mm head 6mm bolt with a 1.00 pitch. Removing the idle ajust screw wont make it run rough. It was the real long philips head screw with a jam nut on it right? Hopefuly not the air fuel mixture screw.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #10
walts
Not Yet Wild

It is a philips head screw with a spring no jam nut. The air fuel mixture screw is also called the "pilot screw". I'll take out the throttle screw and try it again. The way that I adjusted the rod do you think that is alright? I was driving from lumpy grass to pavement, maybe it just seemed like it was running rough, I'll try again. Thanks again sorry for being such a pain in the butt.

Tags
backfire, throttle linkage
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO