lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Default Marathon is faster in reverse

well, got good batteries, and it still dogs on small inclines. about 3-4mph on 4%. Odd part is its slightly faster in reverse. What could be the problem and is it possible to switch something so the reverse speed can be used to go forward?
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
twp5253
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Marathon is faster in reverse

Sounds like the F/R switch might be tired? I am assuming you have one...I could be wrong. I only own a Txt Series cart but the Forward part of my old switch was toast and it worked better in reverse before I made these minor mods!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2107.jpg (228.7 KB, 22 views)
twp5253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantguy90 View Post
well, got good batteries, and it still dogs on small inclines. about 3-4mph on 4%. Odd part is its slightly faster in reverse. What could be the problem and is it possible to switch something so the reverse speed can be used to go forward?
Reverse the A1 & A2 cables at the motor.

Be sure to use two wrenches and hold lower part of stud so it doesn't turn or you'll break the wires going to the brushes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
plantguy90
Getting Wild

EDIT: Sorry I am getting 38v at the controller, not 18, so wiring up to there is ok.

If I want to check the voltage to the motor running forwards (rear tires are in the air) which ones do I do hit touch S1, S2, A1 or A2?
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantguy90 View Post
...........If I want to check the voltage to the motor running forwards (rear tires are in the air) which ones do I do hit touch S1, S2, A1 or A2?
Here is a generic diagram showing the hi current circuits only.
I don't believe your cart has a fuse in the hi-current circuit, but everything else is probably the same.
Without all the interlocks, keyswitches, buzzers, control circuits and charger connections cluttering up the picture, it is easier to see what is going on.

The output to the motor can be measured between B+ and M- on the controller.
Being a series motor, the same current that passes through the armature (A1-A2) also passes through the stator (S1-S2).
Electrically, the only difference between Forward and Reverse is the direction the current flows through the stator, so the speed should be the same in either direction.
Physically, the current passes through different contacts on the F/R switch, so there could be a difference in speed/torque if the resistance of one set of contacts on the F/R switch was greater than the other.

The output of the controller is pulsed DC (PWM @ ~18KHz), but you might be able to see a difference in the DC voltage measured with a DVM across the stator (S1-S2) in Forward and Reverse.

Personally, I would clean or replace the contacts in the F/R switch, or replace the entire switch assembly with a heavy duty one.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO