lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Default What to expect from a 2.5hp motor

Help me get the bosses off my back for buying an old cart that only goes about 4-5mpg up a 4-5% grade, or about 4-5ft incline over 100ft. The staff hate that cart, as its almost faster to jog from place to place. Its a 94 Marathon. Been asking questions and researching, and checking voltage. voltage and wiring is fine. What I cant tell is whether that's it for that 2.5hp motor, or is something wrong?
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
72volt_ezgo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: What to expect from a 2.5hp motor

Hi!

I saw your other threads on your slow cart and without having the cart on hand to mess with it/do various testing procedures in person, that is a challenging issue to solve over the internet unless you had spare parts to try on! (but then who needs the internet for diagnostics right?)

About the HP ratings of electric motors: While your particular cart might have a motor that is somehow bad in a fashion that it either wastes the electrical energy given to it or just not able to convert it to mechanical energy efficiently we don't know yet. But if we talk about a good motor,the horsepower rating should not be considered like the HP rating for a gasoline engine for example.

The electric motor HP rating "should be" a continuous rating and the gasoline engines are peak HP ratings. ( you will soon see why I put"should")

So a standard good old golf cart motor that is rated 2HP means that if you put 2 HP worth of electricity (roughly 1500 Watts) through it,the motor should be able to work indefinitely without ever overheating/burning up!

It does not mean that this same motor can not give you more power!
It will give you 20HP for a short time no problem if you have the means to throw the power at it! (battery power,controller,cables etc.)

Therefore the HP rating for an electric motor is more of a temperature rating and should not be thought as a cap on it's power!

Why I wrote "should" above is because certain manufaturers or sellers of motors put some amazingly high HP numbers to their golf cart sized motors so the numbers look better but I think they forget to mention how long can that motor withstand that much power! (surely not a continuous rating there!)

The larger the motor (can absorb more heat)and the better the insulation temp rating on the windings(withstands more heat) the higher the HP rating can be.(assuming brushes and commutators can handle it too!)

I know this is not helping you in your case but maybe you will look at the motor in a different light and not get stuck suspecting the HP numbers at fault!

The challenge in your case is to determine whether all (most) the available battery power makes it to the motor or not?! And to determine power, the voltage readings and amperage readings are equally important (at the motor) because one is actually meaningless without the other!

Barna
72volt_ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Legendary Golf Carts
Gone Wild

What are the voltage readings? is the wiring good?
Legendary Golf Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Voltage out of the controller when trottle is all the way down is 38v. Just got alligator clips so I can check voltage to the motor tomorrow, as well as amps. What numbers in terms of amps am I looking for?
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO