lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 AM   #1
rohnsherd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1995 EZGO Medalist has good power after charge then dies

I am new to this forum and very much a newbie with golf carts. I just bought this cart about two weeks ago from a retired fella who works on them as a hobby. I went and test drove it and its a dream ride. All stock parts. He said he went through it and replaced the "brain" which now after educating myself I am assuming would be the pot? The controller doesn't appear to be new but Im not sure. Anyways, I am out riding it around after about 4-5 days and all of a sudden it won't go. The solenoid clicks when I depress the accel. but it won't go. So I put my foot out and push on the ground like fred flinstone and it slowly picks up speed. Any little resistance and it will NOT go. I asked the guy how old the batteries are and he said they were new in 05'. I can't find any markings on them anywhere to indicate the age. They are Trojan 105's I believe. I have put the charger to the cart after every time I use it. I checked the fluid level and everything seems ok. I put my volt meter on each individual battery and each one read a consistent 6.24-6.25v. I wasn't sure how to check the pack voltage so I just went from battery to battery until I got my highest reading. It was the two batteries on each side of center, am I correct? I go 39.5v, that was right after charging over night so there was NO rest time. I will check again this morning.

So my question is what am I looking at? I am going to go through this cart completely and replace pretty much everything but I wasn't planning on doing it all right this second. I am going to put an aftermarket motor, controller, wiring, solenoid, F/R switch and lift kit. I am guessing that the batteries are gonna be on that list now. :-( I check all of the connections and they are clean and tight. The battery cables are a mix of some 4 awg and some 6-8 awg. So switching those I am pretty sure would help but I don't want to do that until I upgrade the motor controller etc. What do you all think?? Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Rohn-
rohnsherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1995 EZGO Medalist has good power after charge then dies

Welcome to the forum.
I think you need batteries. Yours are 6 yrs old and you describe all the symptoms of worn out batts. 5 & 6 Yr old batteries are at the end of their expected service life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
rohnsherd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks scottyb.
Would you suggest torgans 105's? Also can I upgrade the wires without doing everything else right now? Where would be a good place to get batteries?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

T105's are the standard by which all other 6v GC batteries are judged. You won't go wrong with them. Crown and US Batteries are also good.
T105 is a 220 ah battery, so is the US battery, the Crown is 225ah. There are less expensive batteries at sams & costco but they are lower capacity.
You should have a battery distributor in your area?

In a '95 cart I suggest you replace the complete set of cables for the motor, F&R, controller and batteries. As you plan to upgrade the controller you will be needing them and don't forget to upgrade the F&R too.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
rohnsherd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Do you carry those parts I need or do you have suggestions on where to get them. I want silver soldered cable.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohnsherd View Post
Do you carry those parts I need or do you have suggestions on where to get them. I want silver soldered cable.
I make the silver soldered cables. Your stock cart takes the 14pc ezgo set.
All my cable is the best MADE in USA copper welders cable with neoprene jacket. The copper strand count is 400-600 depending upon the size. You can see the cable and read a little more at > http://cartsunlimited.net/Battery_Cable_Upgrades.html
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
rohnsherd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I called a local guy around me and he doesn't sell Trojan but he sells interstate batteries. How do you feel about those? A set of Trojan t-105's are gonna run bout $1000 interstates are about $670. A lot of money either way. What do u guys think? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't have any experience with interstate GC batteries. I'm sure somebody will pipe up? Just make sure you compare apples to apples. Amp Hour rating and weight is important. The heaviest battery will have the largest amperage storage capacity & run the longest.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Some guys love them other guys hate them. Same is true of about any brand.

On paper a U2200 has the about the same footprint & weight as a T-105, but is actually a bit higher in published Minutes @ 75A and AH at a 20 Hour rate.
However, that is manufacturer data and some manufactures get a little creative in their testing and the results they publish.

Check out the prices for the other two Interstate 6V Golf Cart batteries also. (U2300 and U2400)
Might get more battery for less money than T-105

I'm in a similar situation. To get Trojan or Crown or US, I'll have to drive 100 miles or more, but I can just about throw a rock and hit an Interstate dealer.
Guess what I'm gonna buy when I need a new set.

I don't have the numbers handy, but I post them when I get back from doctor appointment.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 12-13-2011 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: added comment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is something to be said for the convenience of having the supplier that close ....... hopefully you won't actually end up throwing those rocks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO