lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
tece50
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Starting upgrades assistance

I have a 2002 Ezgo TXT 36v that I just purchased and just started my upgrades. I added the battery meter and just purchased 4ga battery cable replacements. The old ones didn't look too bad but figured it's a good place to start. I have spent countless hours trying to learn everything I can and balance out the performance vs appearance upgrades. I'm a little limited on spending out a lot at once so I'm trying to start with the least expensive upgrades that would bring me the highest return. I would like a little more speed from the cart (it's just basic stock for now), and would love input on the govenor adjustment to obtain a little more speed. The batteries are 2011 energizers. This is all new to me, but I'm trying!
tece50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: Starting upgrades assistance

When you say "governor" is the cart surging like its bumping a governor? If so thats most likely a PDS cart which you can get a "chip" or if your good with wiring you can make one yourself for almost free. Its not really a chip, its a plug with a wire. If its a series cart then your gettin all you can get, there is no governor per say, only the regen/downhill breaking effect on the PDS models.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
tece50
Getting Wild

Club Car

I think what I have is a series. I have read so much info it's become a blur! After reading your response I came to the conclusion that what I read about the govenor must have been on a gas model....duh. It was about a bolt adjustment and a spring inside a black box....I am always open to suggestions on what to do next, and can accept if I come out with something stupid! Thanks to all for any help you can provide
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

yup, the governor is for gas car.
You're on the right track reading all you can.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Series with have the F/R switch by your right knee in the middle of the cart. PDS will have a Rocker type switch on the dash. Neither have a governor but the PDS models have a feature where you can get a little more speed by reducing the regen effect.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
tece50
Getting Wild

Club Car

Dang! It is a series. Any other performance upgrades I should upgrade that dosen't cost an arm and a leg before starting appearance upgrades? Some of the things I want to do are: light kit and a slight lift kit.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A lift kit usually means bigger tires. Bigger tires are actually an increase in final drive gear ratio. Taller tires will decrease the amount of torque your motor can put to the ground. You will need a larger controller, bigger cables, and a beefed-up F&R to gain back the lost torque.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tece50 View Post
Dang! It is a series. Any other performance upgrades I should upgrade that dosen't cost an arm and a leg before starting appearance upgrades? Some of the things I want to do are: light kit and a slight lift kit.
If you're planning on a lift, it's because you want to run larger than stock diameter tires. This means your stock energy supply system is no longer adequate. The 4g cables are your first improvement and it was money spent well (unless you are planning a monster cart).

Next, a Heavy Duty Solenoid and Heavy Duty F/R cam.

Then I would look into a 400 amp controller. Make sure it is 48v compatable.

Those items can be purchased and installed as funds allow.

After that, the real money comes into play with a 48v conversion.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #9
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Scottyb, looks like we are going down the same proven path.

Again.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Do you mean the real power comes into play with the 48 V conversion? LOL
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO