lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
giff2121
Not Yet Wild

Default controller box smoking in 95 medalist

I am having issues with over heating. I have a lifted ez go with 22 inch tires, but motor and controller are stock. I upgraded the cables to 4g and then replaced the solenoid with a HD 48 volt in preparation for an upgrade. Runs great when driving around on flat surfaces, but when climbing hills if has a heat issue. I can smell it and see smoke coming from control box. It will stop running for a while ,then after it sits for a few minutes, it runs again. I know it is a stock controller and motor, but it just pulling me up a hill, a fairly steep one. But I've gone up them on a golf course slowly. Anyway... any help is appreciated. I've review other posts and can not seem to find an answer that would help me. Could a HD forward/reverse switch solve the problem. I have eliminated battery issue, but thats about it.
giff2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
AzPete
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: controller box smoking in 95 medalist

With the larger tires you need to step up and upgrade the motor and controller.....or avoid the hills.
AzPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

I have a 95 medalist - lifted on 22's as well and ran into the same issue. Would overheat after long runs, flat or hills didn't matter, just run time would get to it. Ran VERY hot, didn't smoke like yours but was hot enough to smell.

Replaced controller/FNR/Motor and am now loving life. You can probably just replace your controller, get an AllTrax 400 amp and you'll be good to go.

Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A controller/solenoid upgrade should fix your problem, no need to replace the stock motor unless you need more than 30% more torque you will get with a controller kit alone ... You should upgrade cables and F&R also for best trouble free delivery of the increased amperage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
giff2121
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys.... what I figured. Now I have the reason to upgrade, so I guess its not to bad. Id hate to be in the deer woods pulling a deer up the mountain then have to call for help.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by giff2121 View Post
Thanks guys.... what I figured. Now I have the reason to upgrade, so I guess its not to bad.

I secretly want things to break so I can upgrade them.

Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
giff2121
Not Yet Wild

does it matter what 400 amp controller I get? Which Alltrax is best for a series cart?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

AXE
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO