lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Can I convert from resistor to controller for <$300?

Can I convert from resistor to controller for less then $300?

I have a '94 CC with V-glide
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Can I convert from resistor to controller for <$300?

Care to explain how you plan on doing this?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It was a question, not a statement.

I have seen controllers for under $200 (stock or near stock) and throttles for under $70 (PB-6 clone). That seems to be the bulk of the money. I already need to re-wire so I'm not including that.

Thoughts on a budget resistor to solid state conversion? I wouldn't expect more speed, just more run time.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
roady89
nimda
Club Car

probably not but if you can do it please post how/what you did it. I know you can do things cheaply but I usually want the more expensive components when upgrading. If you just want it converted then it might be doable.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

FWIW: I just converted my 1979 CC from resistor/solenoid speed control to a Curtis 1205 400-amp controller. Accelerator assembly is also a Curtis. Cost was way less than $300.00, probably less than $50.00, including cables, as all parts came from the scrapyard. The controller and accelerator assembly came from a Cushman industrial truck.

Pretty much all wiring was removed from the cart, and rewiring was done per the diagrams in the Curtis controller manual (.pdf, found online). There's really 2 diagrams, the power wiring and the control circuit. Power cables are an assortment, with some being #6 and others #4 or maybe heavier.

I bought the cart at an auction, with 2 missing solenoids, and no batteries. From the start, the plan was to convert as described above. It was a success, and speed control is nice and smooth.

The hardest part was getting the Curtis speed control adapted to the accelerator pedal, and that wasn't terribly difficult.

Now, onto the brakes! :-)
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can handle any wiring, thanks for the info jdunmyer. Wish we has those sort of things in scrapyards around here. Curtis controllers are expensive new.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
cmar143
Gone Wild

You can find used Curtis IQ controllers on ebay for less than $200 that have been tested and working from people who upgrade to Alltrax and others.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have checked ebay but most used controllers seem to be for ezgo, not CC. It just occurred to me that maybe they are referring to the throttle type when specifying ezgo?

PB-6 clones for $70 seem to be the cheapest throttle I've found.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
Romrok
Not Yet Wild

I built a custom 36v cart once like that. But a completely new chassis, a low rider type deal, 2 batts forward in passenger footwell, 2 on top of the motor, and 2 slung out back behind the motor. Imagine sitting on the 'floor' where the batteries were. Fun rig, and was 36v converted to solid state. But being in the scrap cart business, I believe I stripped the harness from a 48v rig. The Curtis 1204 controllers I had were 36-48v so it wasn't an issue. I do most of my cart work with OEM style stuff, so whatever you rig will be up to you to wire. But definately possible. For that price... Eh without a donor cart I dunno.

Rom
Romrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car