lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Question about Plews battery filler

This is probably pretty basic, but I wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I just received my Plews filler and there aren't any instructions. Do I just fill it with distilled water and stick it down in each cell and push down?
Thanks.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Question about Plews battery filler

You're doing it right.

A couple of tips:
Keep spout vertical in filling hole. It gets a little tricky on the back three batteries.
Cart should be on level ground.
Make sure the spout assembly is on tight (no air leaks).

FWIW, When the electrolyte level in the cell gets high enough to block the spout so no air can get in the jug, the flow stops.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie! I was wondering how it knew to stop!
I appreciate your help. And my batteries thank you too.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Okay, now that I've used it I have a couple more questions. Is it supposed to be fairly hard to push down? I have to say it was sorta hard on my arthritic wrist. That spout thing takes a quite a bit of push.

Also......I overfilled one cell. Its about 1/2" from the very top. What should I do? Should I pull a little electrolyte out or just leave it?

So its done filling when the gurgling stops? I pulled it away a little early on a few of the cells, since it sounded like it wasn't going to quit, and I was afraid it would overfill it again.
Does it overfill when there is any space open around the lip of the cell and the filler device?
Thanks.
Oh........I just realized that that's what you meant by "make sure the spout assembly is on tight". I thought you meant that the spout is on the rest of the filler tight. I'll bet that's why it overfilled.I wish they made a larger collar around that spout, since its pretty easy to let in a little air on the side, if you're not holding your mouth just right. :)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
Okay, now that I've used it I have a couple more questions. Is it supposed to be fairly hard to push down? I have to say it was sorta hard on my arthritic wrist. That spout thing takes a quite a bit of push.
Use one hand in handle to hold jug in place and other hand to above spout to push down.

Also......I overfilled one cell. Its about 1/2" from the very top. What should I do? Should I pull a little electrolyte out or just leave it?
There should be a vertical slit in the side of the filler well. if the fluid level is below the top of that, it should be okay.
If the slit is covered, aspirate it down until the top of slit is above the fluid level.
Save the fluid and put it back in the same cell when it needs water again.

So its done filling when the gurgling stops? I pulled it away a little early on a few of the cells, since it sounded like it wasn't going to quit, and I was afraid it would overfill it again.
I too, wish they made these jugs out of clear plastic.
Does it overfill when there is any space open around the lip of the cell and the filler device?
The fill level is determined by the distal end of the spout. When the fluid blocks air from entering, flow stops.
When you lift the jug, spring action keeps the relative height of the distal end at the same position while the internal valve closes.
The jug should be removed quickly so the valve seats, but jerking it out isn't needed.

Thanks.
Oh........I just realized that that's what you meant by "make sure the spout assembly is on tight". I thought you meant that the spout is on the rest of the filler tight. I'll bet that's why it overfilled.I wish they made a larger collar around that spout, since its pretty easy to let in a little air on the side, if you're not holding your mouth just right. :)
Actually, I did mean spout tight on the jug. If you have an air leak there, the water will keep flowing until jug is empty.
The only reasons for the collar is setting the proper vertical position for the open end of the spout and providing something solid to push against to open the spring loaded valve.
Remember the old glass IV bottles?
They had two holes in the stopper, one was the air vent and the other was where the drip chamber was attached.
If the air vent was blocked, nothing would come out of the bottle, no matter how high it was hung.

The Plews type fillers work the same way. No air in - No water out.

--------
If the compressing the spout is hard, push it in a couple hundred times to break it in. Maybe get someone to do it for you. Good busy work for a youngster on a rainy day.

------------
If it overfills consistently, either the check valve is leaking or the spout is being removed from cell too slowly.
You can use something like a Ranch Dressing bottle to see how it works and if the valve leaks.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 AM   #6
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie! Great info, as usual!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO