lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #21
Commitclothing
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Six 12 volt Gel Cells in a 36v TXT

So what do guys think.. Should I drop $300 on the gel cell charger or spend $600 on new Trojans and use the charger I already have?

I know this is a preference call as it will work either way. Will I get enough range increase for doubling my investment?
Commitclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #22
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You might want to try the Stanley golf cart charger for $99 if you have a Sam's membership. It has charger profiles for GEL, AGM and lead acid batteries.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/stanley...prod1841149.ip

If you don't have a Sam's account it's $119 on Amazon

Stanley GBCPRO Golf Cart & Vehicle Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive Stanley GBCPRO Golf Cart & Vehicle Battery Charger : Amazon.com : Automotive
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #23
KLA
Getting Wild

Just one additional thought about JohnnyB's info about stored Watt-hours and voltage when going from 36V to 72V.
If everything were kept the same (same driving profile in speed-torque), there should actually be an improvement in runtime when going to a higher voltage when the stored Whr power is kept constant.

The reason is that some percentage of the losses (affecting overall efficiency) is in the cables, the resistance of the motor wirings and brushes and on-resistance of the switching transistors in the controller.
These losses are not insignificant and are the reason why a series DC motor is only about 80-85% efficient at best while an AC motor (no brushes) can reach 95% efficiency or better.

These losses increase with the square of the operating current (P = R * I^2).
With double the voltage, the current needed is 1/2 for the same output power. But with 1/2 the current these losses are theoretically reduced by a factor of 4.

However, with the higher voltage comes the potential for much more power, which invariably gets used too, and that reduces of course the runtime.
KLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
sdc19982002
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLA View Post
Just one additional thought about JohnnyB's info about stored Watt-hours and voltage when going from 36V to 72V.
If everything were kept the same (same driving profile in speed-torque), there should actually be an improvement in runtime when going to a higher voltage when the stored Whr power is kept constant.

The reason is that some percentage of the losses (affecting overall efficiency) is in the cables, the resistance of the motor wirings and brushes and on-resistance of the switching transistors in the controller.
These losses are not insignificant and are the reason why a series DC motor is only about 80-85% efficient at best while an AC motor (no brushes) can reach 95% efficiency or better.

These losses increase with the square of the operating current (P = R * I^2).
With double the voltage, the current needed is 1/2 for the same output power. But with 1/2 the current these losses are theoretically reduced by a factor of 4.

However, with the higher voltage comes the potential for much more power, which invariably gets used too, and that reduces of course the runtime.
sdc19982002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Those are the other reasons why a 6 X 8V 170AH 48V battery pack will have a longer run time than 6 X 6V 225AH 36V battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36v, charging, ezgo, gel cell
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO