lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
FuturoMan
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery & Charger Compatibility Question

I do believe it's time for new batteries. Bought my 1999 TXT in August 2003. My range is down to about 2 miles. Almost 10 full years on my Trojan T-105. I always charged after use. I did let the water get below the top of the plates a few times though.

Anyway my question is: I wish to replace with T-145 or equivalent. My charger is a Power Wise 28115G04. Output 36 VDC - 21 Amps. It also says 18 Amp Hours 245. Will this charger charge the T-145 (260 Amp Hrs) to 100%. Or is it more suited to the T-105 (225 Amp Hrs).

Or do I need to interpolate. 80% of the difference 20 hr -10 hr and add that back to the 10 hr.

For the T-145 that would be (260-239)=21 21*.8=16.8 16.8+239=255.8 for 18 amp hrs???? In which case the charger isn't big enough????

Thanks
FuturoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery & Charger Compatibility Question

Ideally the bulk charge rate is 10% or 25amps for 245ah batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Deep-cycle, lead-acid, wet-cell batteries can be charged at a relatively low amp rate or a relatively high amp rate and still provide about the same number of years of useful service.
The main difference between the low and high charge rate is how many hours it takes to replace the Amp-Hours used from the battery.

If you had a constant current charger (which the PW-28115 isn't) the charge time would be the number of AH used, divided by the charge rate, times about 115%. (Recharging is less than 100% efficient so more AH have to be returned to the battery than the AH taken out and efficiency varies with the battery's physical construction and age.)

The PW-28115 does not know the AH rating of the battery it is charging, only the voltage, so the initial charge rate of either a 225AH or a 260AH battery pack that had been discharged down to 70% SoC (37.1V), would be the same.

However, 78AH would have to be returned to the T-145 while only 67.5AH would have to be returned to the T-145, which is a difference of 10.5AH and it would take someplace between half an hour and an hour to recharge the high capacity battery from 70% SoC.

On the other hand, if an identical number of Amp-Hours were discharged from a T-105 battery pack and a T-145 battery pack, the recharge time would be identical, or close to it.

Basically, if the PW-28115 is working as designed, it will charge T-145 batteries as well as it has been charging the T-105 batteries and if the AH usage is the same, just as quickly.

------------
For best performance and longevity, get a charger that goes into a float charge mode after the regular charge cycle finishes.

FWIW: This is what I use for my 245AH batteries: DPI Accusense Charger
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
FuturoMan
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnieB,

You have a way of explaining about batteries and such in a way that is informative AND at the same time logical and understandable.
FuturoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I used to teach logical troubleshooting techniques to some very bright young men and women.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO