lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-14-2018, 08:14 AM   #11
David Maner
Morel Man

Club Car

Default Re: hole in gas tank how to fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I have heard of people taking a similar plastic and a heat source and pretty much welding the two. I haven't tried it because I can see myself knocking a bigger hole in the tank. Mine has about a 1/4 inch one now where I was drilling rivets out. Thought it was a rivet but nope, side of the tank.. I put a stainless screw with a rubber/steel washer in it and it has been holding for about a year now.
I've got a honda gx35 engine on a small tiller that I plugged a hole in the gas tank using a metal building screw that has a rubber washer on it. At least 15 years ago and it still holds fine

I've fixed a couple other similar things the same way over the years that are still fine too.

Cracks are a whole different ballgame though. I've never been able to weld plastic and make it hold. Some people can but I can't
David Maner is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I know that this is an ancient thread but I just had a gas tank mishap which drew me to this conversation. While lowing a cart of off jacks a misplaced drill bit poked a hole in its gas tank. The hole is very "clean" actually in that it's about 1/4 in. with, fortunately, no associated cracking.

All of the above suggestions seem reasonable but would a simple fiberglass patch w/ resin do the trick as well? I am seeing that JB Weld's Steel Stick works too.

Thinking it through, I could always plug the hole with the JBW then put a fiberglass patch over the entire thing as well.

If anyone has any input I'd be glad to hear it.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:09 PM   #13
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Put a screw in it with the sealer of your choice. I prefer PR1422.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 04:09 PM   #14
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Thank you. I tried the screw trick and discovered that, as my tank's hole is somewhat close to a corner, a screw / neoprene washer didn't sit flush and thought that it would be bad starting point. You can somewhat see where it is in the pic.

I had some JBW Steel Stick on hand and, surprisingly, it says to use it on fuel tanks right on the package. After rough sanding the area a bit, I went ahead and used it. I was able to put a large dowel into the tank to serve as pressure from the inside of the tank so it seal should be solid.

As well, I had some fiberglass cloth and rosin left over from a recent cart restore. Some net research shows that fiberglass rosin is impervious to gas. I cut a patch of cloth and rosin'd it over top of the JBW. I want to let it cure overnight before I put gas in it but, by the looks of it, I don't see how any gas can possibly get through this thing at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas Tank.jpg (34.2 KB, 0 views)
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 08:47 AM   #15
fchafey
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

On Army Helicopters, we used "Pro Seal", PS 890. It isn't cheap, but if you know some one that wrenches on aircraft, chances are there is some "available"

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ages/ps890.php
fchafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO