lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
HogSmoke
Getting Wild

Default G9 not starting

I've changed oil, air filter, fuel filter, plug, charged battery. The belts are turning but not getting engine going. Any ideas? Fuel filter was a mess...
HogSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
HogSmoke
Getting Wild

Default Re: G9 not starting

I've got a spark. Then I took fuel line off carb from pump and hit gas. No gas came through tube....I'm assuming fuel pump problem....
Old 11-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
HogSmoke
Getting Wild

I take that back, I primed pump and it working now. Motor still not cranking...
Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogSmoke View Post
I take that back, I primed pump and it working now. Motor still not cranking...
So the engine isn't cranking? I thought you said the belts were moving but it wasn't starting?

I interpret "cranking" as: the engine turns over, meaning the engine spins as long as you hold the pedal down.

If it's turning over the engine (spinning) but not starting, you have three possible scenarios.....

1. No fuel - could be plugged fuel pump or carb
2. No spark - bad spark plug? or ignition coil?
3. No compression - need to check this (min 100 lbs up to 140 lbs)

If you have all three, the engine should run.

Do you have "fresh" gasoline? New spark plug? New air filter? Did you clean out the carb?

If you have fuel pressure at the pump, you might have a plugged carb. With the looks of that fuel filter, you may want to take the fuel tank out and flush it, there could be some serious debris in there that's getting pumped into the carb. Once you flush out the tank, fill with fresh gas. Take the fuel line off the carb and put in a glass jar. Crank the engine over until the fuel runs clear. Take the carb off and wash it out. You have to disassemble the float and needle so you can flush out the passages. Once it's clean, blow air though the fuel intake tube and listen to make sure air moves through the carb. I always use my mouth to blow the air, don't use compressed air it's too much pressure.

Reassemble and fire it up. If it won't run, take the spark plug out and see if it's making spark. You can get a "spark tester" at your local auto parts store to make this safe and easy.

If no spark, you likely have some bad ignition components. We'll address that later.

Good luck!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:56 AM   #5
HogSmoke
Getting Wild

Thank u so much for the input. I'm obviously new to small engines and this is a big learning project for me. I don't have the lingo down either. Basically the belts on the drives are turning, but the engine sputters for 1-2 seconds and stops, belts keep spinning but no engine start up. I took the bowl off the carb but haven't taken the whole thing apart yet. Anyhow, I'll keep tinkering away and reading. Once again, thank you!
Old 11-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Thank u so much for the input. I'm obviously new to small engines and this is a big learning project for me. I don't have the lingo down either. Basically the belts on the drives are turning, but the engine sputters for 1-2 seconds and stops, belts keep spinning but no engine start up. I took the bowl off the carb but haven't taken the whole thing apart yet. Anyhow, I'll keep tinkering away and reading. Once again, thank you!
Based on what we've heard so far, i'd suspect a gummed up carburetor.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Take the "elbow" air intake off the carb. Then, spray a little brake clean down the carb throat, see if that makes it run a little longer. This test will not solve your problem (carb teardown and full cleaning), but it will verify if a lack of fuel is your true problem.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
HogSmoke
Getting Wild

So I've broke down carb and jets were good. Float pin was nasty. Cleaned it all up and still no good. Took fuel pump apart and it looked decent. When i press gas pedal, gas just sputters out fuel pump line to carb. Should it be a steady flow?
Old 11-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
HogSmoke
Getting Wild

Got it turned over for about 30 seconds, then started sputtering off and on. Now when I press pedal, drive belt has a hard time turning. Really slow to start spinning.....spins a couple times then stops and starts again off and on....
Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Got it turned over for about 30 seconds, then started sputtering off and on. Now when I press pedal, drive belt has a hard time turning. Really slow to start spinning.....spins a couple times then stops and starts again off and on....
Sounds like you have a fuel flow problem. And you are probably wearing down the battery. Give it a charge.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha