lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Save A Battery---Anyone using one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD70ACe View Post
Ok, so from what I've gathered I'm going I have to charge the pack with the big lestronic II, then hook this thing up and let it maintain the charge... I think I can handle that!
That is what I am doing.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #12
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I ordered one of those save a battery a couple of days ago. I got it from here http://www.jbtoolsales.com/save-a-ba...ainer-48v-50w/ . Don't know whether that link works. I'm new at this.
The reason I bought it was because of my friend that has had one for a year now. He uses his cart (he is like me, he never goes below 80% SOC) then when he returns he plugs the save a battery in. It somehow charges faster than the 50watts would lead you to think. He has not used his big charger in over a year. He mounted the unit under the seat and keeps it plugged in while he is off his cart. He says his batteries are in a lot better shape since he has been using it. For $75 and change plus less than 8 bucks shipping, I going to give it a try.

Forgot to mention Jim has a permanent site at a very large RV campground and uses his cart every day.

Dave
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I happen to think maintainance charging at low rates is a really good idea for the kind of batteries we use in golf carts. No doubt, "mildly" discharged new/healthy batteries would come back to full charge fairly quickly - even with only 1.5 amps. As the batteries get older and less efficient however, I suspect that the 50 watt rate-of-charge would start taking longer and longer to acheive the same result. But maintaining a pack on low rate charge should improve battery life too.

Many of the carts on this forum are modified for more speed/power and are used for extended periods on steep hills and rugged back country terrain. Thats where a gentle 50 watts of charge current would struggle, trying to get those carts charged & ready for the next day of aggressive use!
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
I happen to think maintainance charging at low rates is a really good idea for the kind of batteries we use in golf carts. No doubt, "mildly" discharged new/healthy batteries would come back to full charge fairly quickly - even with only 1.5 amps. As the batteries get older and less efficient however, I suspect that the 50 watt rate-of-charge would start taking longer and longer to acheive the same result. But maintaining a pack on low rate charge should improve battery life too.

Many of the carts on this forum are modified for more speed/power and are used for extended periods on steep hills and rugged back country terrain. Thats where a gentle 50 watts of charge current would struggle, trying to get those carts charged & ready for the next day of aggressive use!
All I know is that Jim's batteries are several years old, he either has 6 8volts or 8 6volts can't remember, and I would say he probably runs at least 5 miles a day. Every morning he has a full charge. Just sayin---
Old 12-19-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well that's good news for me, because I had hoped to use my new 2A Battery Minder to regularly re-charge my new battery pack next year after each round of golf, and wasn't sure if it would be enough to have my cart ready each morning. Sounds like it will!
Old 12-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #16
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesam View Post
Well that's good news for me, because I had hoped to use my new 2A Battery Minder to regularly re-charge my new battery pack next year after each round of golf, and wasn't sure if it would be enough to have my cart ready each morning. Sounds like it will!
Don't know if your Battery Minder and the Save a Battery unit charge in the same way but good luck with it.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think they are very similar - the Battery Minder costs twice as much, with a bit more diagnostic capability, variable rate based on temperature sensing, a slightly different/patented pulse charge pattern (AKA marketing hype) - and actually a little bit more charging amperage.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just looked up your Battery Minder. That unit looks good. For an experiment though I will try the cheaper unit first.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:35 PM   #19
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have installed and used the 48 volt Save A Battery unit for a couple of weeks now . If I am not on the cart, it is plugged in. The pack stays at 54.4 volts. I drove the cart the other day long enough to bring pack voltage down to 49 volts measured on the DVM after resting 30 minutes. It took about 5 hours to bring the pack back up to 52 volts. To my knowledge, right at 51 volts is full charge. I was surprised a 50 watt charger could bring up 8 6 volt batteries that fast. I looked at it the next day and it was back steady at 54.4 volts.

To me, so far so good. Will it replace my big charger? I don't know yet. All I know is I haven't had to use the big one since the Save A Battery was installed. I do like the fact that it maintains the pack while the cart is parked. Also like the fact that it stops sulfation and will reverse the condition on older batteries.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #20
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

5 hours to 52v is impressive at a mere 50 watts. Your batteries must be in good shape. My Battery Minder has been running since early October! About once every 10 days it shows a yellow light - "weak battery" - which they are. Then after a couple days...back to "green". And the cycle repeats.

My batteries are weak and old - last fall, two days off the big charger resulted in only 49.5V for the pack, and I could only barely finish a round of golf after a fresh charge. They are old and need replacing, but I'm not doing that 'til spring (when I can break the new ones in right). The battery minder is keeping these from freezing/cracking in winter - and that's primarily why I got it in fall. I'm hoping to use it as my "primary" charger next year, with just occasional bulk charging. We'll see I guess.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car