lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #1
ron rogan
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy wiring connection on forward/reverse box

I have a 1993 Textron ezgo and was cleaning connections and lost track of where my wires go for my forward/reverse box connected wires back up and it goes forward but when I put it in reverse I just hear a click. The wires I am concerned about are the ones on the top of the box.The bottom ones I know I have right because I did not take them completely off. I could swear on the post on top at about 1 o'clock I had 2 wires connected to it when I took it off.Can anyone tell me what goes where and can I short something out being ignorant? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks I am not too savvy so please talk to me like I'm a six year old
ron rogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: wiring connection on forward/reverse box

If it goes Forward in "F" and only clicks in "R", the high current cables are probably connected correctly.
Sounds like the board that holds the stationary contacts got warped a little from the heat, so the high current contacts are not making when in "R".
Try tightening the center nut more.

------------

All 4 studs on the F/R has a high current cable on them. In some instances, The top stud will have two cables. The A2 stud on the Motor and the A2 terminal and the "C" Stud on the F/R at the top, are all connected together.

The schematics show two cables on the top F/R stud, but instead of running a cable to A2 on the controller and another cable all the way from the F/R to A2 on the motor, EZGO saved a few feet of cable and made the double cable connection at the A2 terminal on the controller.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
ron rogan
Not Yet Wild

johnny b, Thank you so much for your time. I did tighten down the center screw which was loose but it did not fix the problem.What I did not mention was when I was cleaning my battery connections, I also sprayed battery cleaner on the terminals plus I sprayed the reverse/forward contact post also. I was starting to hear a sizzle from the box and disconnected one cable and it stopped sizzling. I am thinking I possibly shorted the box out? Someone recommended I get some brake cleaner and spray it on the box and let it dry for 24 hours and see if that fixes my problem.Hate to bother you again but what would your take be on this? Thanks again for your time and expertise Ron "the idiot Rogan
Old 08-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

What "box" are you talking about sizzling?

What body style is your 1993 cart?
Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
ron rogan
Not Yet Wild

The whole reverse/forward/ switch inside the battery compartment where the 4 posts stick out is shaped like a box. I have a 1993 Trojan Textron ezgo Electric with a bed on the back. Serial# 768137. The click in reverse comes from a small rectangle box which I am guessing is a relay? Which is not even close to my reverse/forward switch which is right below my seat.I am sorry I am not replying in the right terms but trying to do the best I can and hope you will not lose patience with me Thanks Ron
Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The most common body styles EZGO produced in 1993 were the Marathon and the Medalist and they were very different drive trains.

The serial number is for a 93 Marathon, but the box with four post sticking out of it sounds like a resistor drive rather than a controller drive.

Under the seat, does you cart look like the first or second picture?

Pic#1 = Resistor drive
Pic#2 = Controller drive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kernal's marathon battery comp.JPG (171.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00024.JPG (329.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #7
ron rogan
Not Yet Wild

pic # 2 the one on the right. Thanks
Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I was pretty sure EZGO didn't make any resistor carts in '93, but there are some "Frakencarts" out there, so I wanted to be sure.

The sizzle coming from the F/R switch is probably arcing, which probably means the contacts are not making good contact.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
ron rogan
Not Yet Wild

It proberly is a franken cart as you put it but it sizzled after I sprayed battery cleaner on it and was advised to spray brake cleaner on it and let it dry for 24 hours to see if that fixes it. Is that a good idea in your opinion?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO