lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #21
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
But why not suspect the pedal box switch? It looks like everything has been substituted with different parts and no mention to check the pedal box switch and wiring. Just wondering..
Back towards the beginning of the thread, he said the yellow wire didn't have voltage on it after the cart stopped and he got out and measured. A bad pedal switch, ITS sensor or their wiring, won't (or at least are not very likely to) take away the B+ on the yellow wire.

What I'm trying to do is verify that the true symptom of the problem is loss of B+ on the yellow wire.

FWIW: B+ is supplied to the solenoid coil via the pedal switch only in series carts. DCS and PDS carts do things differently.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2014, 02:14 PM   #22
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I am confused. This is a PDS cart. If the pedal switch or wiring is intermittent couldn't this cause the same symptom? The way I understand the operation of the PDS is the pedal switch just tells the controller to energize the solenoid if everything else is in order.
The controller produces voltage to energize the solenoid and not the pedal switch directly doesn't it?
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #23
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Well men, I took the cart out today. It quit again. This time I had key switch and F and R out where I could check the voltage when it quits. Never lost voltage on either one of them (that I could tell)
One of the shut downs, I just held the pedal down after the cart coasted to a stop. The solenoid would kick in and out without any type of move of the cart.
I don't know what that could be. Let up on the pedal. Pushed it a few time and it started to work. It seems like, when it stops if I just give it a few min. It will go back to working on it's on.
Sorry JohnnieB I didn't see your reply about the yellow wire till I got home.
but I will make sure it's done the next time I drive it.
Radio man. Not sure if this make a difference , but I did a continuity test on the pedal switch and all was good. I sure don't mind changing if that might help.
JohnnieB should I have voltage (38.2) or pack voltage on both small terminal on the solenoid checking from Neg to each terminal?? I do. But no reading across both terminals.

Thanks again
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #24
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't have a PDS buggy, but if all voltages are correct and the solenoid's clicking when it should, it may be an ITS signal problem. There are several places to check. The controller Molex cable, the four wire Molex cable from the throttle box, and the spade connectors inside the throttle box.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #25
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

yurtle I'm not sure all voltages are right. But they must be at some point, because the silly thing work. Big problem is, It won't stay broke.
If you think the ITS is or could be a problem. I have a new one and I sure don't mind changing it.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #26
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Intermittent problems are the hardest to troubleshoot. You have to take readings when it's not working. Readings when it's working are meaningless.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #27
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
Well men, I took the cart out today. It quit again. This time I had key switch and F and R out where I could check the voltage when it quits. Never lost voltage on either one of them (that I could tell)
One of the shut downs, I just held the pedal down after the cart coasted to a stop. The solenoid would kick in and out without any type of move of the cart.
I don't know what that could be. Let up on the pedal. Pushed it a few time and it started to work. It seems like, when it stops if I just give it a few min. It will go back to working on it's on.
Sorry JohnnieB I didn't see your reply about the yellow wire till I got home.
but I will make sure it's done the next time I drive it.
Radio man. Not sure if this make a difference , but I did a continuity test on the pedal switch and all was good. I sure don't mind changing if that might help.
JohnnieB should I have voltage (38.2) or pack voltage on both small terminal on the solenoid checking from Neg to each terminal?? I do. But no reading across both terminals.

Thanks again
There may be a clue in this post. Note he asks if he should read 36v on both small solenoid terminals when measured from the same battery connection. If he has not made a typo this is a big clue.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM   #28
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysmith View Post
yurtle I'm not sure all voltages are right. But they must be at some point, because the silly thing work. Big problem is, It won't stay broke.
If you think the ITS is or could be a problem. I have a new one and I sure don't mind changing it.

Thanks for the help.
If you got voltage on both solenoid terminals that means you got B+ on the yellow wire through the solenoid coil to the blue wire but not getting the negative side on the blue wire to make it energize. Did you get the voltage on the yellow wire when you had the pedal down and the cart would not move? That was one of JohnnieB's questions. You gotta be patient troubleshooting these problems. You will work and worry yourself silly swapping parts out and not fix the problem.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #29
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sure wish I could talk to you rather than type.
But here goes.
ScottyB I check the voltage on the yellow wire without the pedal being pushed. I had 38.2 then I check the blue wire and had 38.2. pushed the pedal and solenoid did not click. I then took a wire from the Neg.battery pack - to the blue wire and the solenoid clicked. cart still did not move.
Can the Its do this. AT one time today it seemed to run very slow. Could be my imagination . I look at straws to grab.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #30
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Radio man I'm old, I've got lots of patience and this will not beat me or all of us working together. LOL

Thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO