lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
cartemoff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EZGO TXT wiring problem

Ok, I have been chasing an issue for a while... Bought a cart with it not running and with little history to go on. I found that I definitely have a bad speed controller. Sent it off for repairs only to find out that it was irreparable. Repair guy called to tell me that the mosfets were completely torched inside and said only a couple things typically cause this, one of which is wiring the Pos and Neg battery terminals backwards... So in receiving the new Controller I wanted to patiently go through the wiring to insure that everything is right... I am working from a wiring diagram I found on the site here for Series Motors and comparing it to my wiring, I am finding several discrepancies that concern me.

First the wiring diagram I am referring to is provided in this post, 2nd entry by JohnnieB (http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...wont-move.html ). According to this diagram my A1 motor wire should run to the Speed Controller M-, but this wire is clearly stamped with B+ and equally as I had marked it (marked each wire carefully as I removed old controller).

So I trace the M- to see where it goes, and it is running to the FNR position A.

Next I trace all of the cables on the FNR and find that the C terminal is going to A2 on the Controller (as in the diagram), but that is the only wire there. The diagram indicates that I should have a second wire on the C terminal of the FNR going to A2 on the Motor, but that wire is not there. However on the Controller A2 there is a second wire that does run to the Motor A2 terminal. Is this a problem?

Then on my Solenoid I am somehow missing a wire for one of the large terminals. On the two large terminals I have one wire going to B+ on the Controller (according to my tags), but according to the diagram there is no such connection. or at least as far as I can tell. The solenoid part of this diagram is very confusing to me. In fact there seems to show a wire on the solenoid that should go to a terminal "4", I have no terminal 4. My Speed Controller is the Curtis 1205-117 (replaced with same as I had taken out) and only has M-, B-, B+, A2, small terms numbered 1-3 and then a random small terminal between A2 and B+ that is not labeled, like the others.

Beginning to figure that there is a different wiring diagram for my type of controller, but I cant seem to find anything that seems to fit what I have...

cartemoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO TXT wiring problem

cartmeoff......just so everyone is on the exact same page.....

what year model is your cart?

although you said you are using a SERIES motor wiring diagram.....have you verified that is actually what you have??

which drive system do you have...

ezgoguide.jpg
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:51 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

lets assume (this is a dangerous thing at times, lol) here is a SERIES wiring diagram for a cart with the controller with 4 posts like the one you described you have.

Series Wiring Schematic controller woth 4 spades.jpg
Old 11-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The one I posted in the other thread was for a Curtis 1206 controller. Don't use it for your cart.
The one Sir Nuke just posted is for a 1205.
Here's another one for a 1205 that might be a little easier to trace out and is wired a little differently.

The simple truth is that there are several ways to wire the controller and F/R switch and motor together.

The same is true about the A2 terminals on the motor, the A2 terminal on the controller and either the C (or the A) terminal on the F/R switch. All three are the same point electrically and any of the three can be the terminal with two wire on it that connect to the other two terminals. To save a few feet of heavy gauge cable, EZGO typically connected two short cables on the controller's A2 terminal and ran one forward to the F/R switch and the other backwards to the motor, but on earlier carts they ran a long cable from the motor to the F/R switch and a short cable from there to the controller.

If your cart has the white and black wires from the charger receptacle directly connected to the main positive and negative terminals on the battery pack, Use the schematic I posted. If not, use the one Sir Nuke posted.

Either one will work without blowing anything up, but cart might go forward when F/R selector is in reverse (and vice versa). If it does, just switch the cables on B & D or on A & C, but not both.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36V 1205 schematic.JPG (84.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 11-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: Forgot the attachment
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Thanks Johnnie......I just added another good schematic. I have found that you can't have enough of them, as you never know what you might run across working on a cart and need! lol
Old 11-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Thanks Johnnie......I just added another good schematic. I have found that you can't have enough of them, as you never know what you might run across working on a cart and need! lol
My EZGO stash takes up 5.5 GB of disk space and is still growing.

Not all of that disk space is taken up by schematics of course, but I do have quite a few of them.

This has nothing to do with this thread, but one that I haven't been able to find yet is for the early 2000 PDS carts that used a DCS type F/R switch. (Or manuals of any kind for it)

I believe I've been able to deduce what EZGO did to make a PDS controller work with a DCS F/R switch, but I sure would like to see it on paper and be sure of it.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #7
cartemoff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I am embarrassed to say that I have finally made the time to get the cart put back together. I could make all kinds of excuses, but none good enough to mention...

In any case, I have the cart together, or so I thought... tested the wiring before putting on the body - continuity tested all of the connections on the Johnnie B wiring diagram and even flipped everything on and made sure the rear wheels turned... I however FAILED to test it in Reverse!!! Needless to say Reverse does not work... Now all of the body, seats, everything, is back on the cart...

I, in an attempt to figure this out without having to admit that this project has taken me so many months to get to this point, have seemingly gone back through the wiring diagram attempting to find the problem, to no avail. I definitely determined that the Johnnie B diagram in this thread is the correct diagram for my cart. I started by checking the motor voltage, and found some surprising results. All 4 of the posts has 35-36v when the key is off, all rise slight to 37V when key is turned on, and all except A1 progressively drop towards zero (allbeit i did run the RPM's high enough to see zero) when the gas pedal is pressed. A1 is staying at 36v when the gas is pressed.

I then turned to the FNR and found that everything seems to be in the right places, traced all the wires and verified that they match the diagram... Checked across both microswitches and get the "closed" results when I should...

But now, I am at a loss on what to check now.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Any help would be most appreciated!

BTW - anyone know why I wouldn't an email, or an alert of some kind, when new responses are posted to a thread that I have commented on? Just hate the constant refresh routine looking for updates... I am sure I am probably doing something wrong...but like the above, I am at a loss.

Thanks,
Kent

2002 TXT 2+2, Curtis 1205-117 controller, 36V Series motor
Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartemoff View Post
Ok, I am embarrassed to say that I have finally made the time to get the cart put back together. I could make all kinds of excuses, but none good enough to mention...

In any case, I have the cart together, or so I thought... tested the wiring before putting on the body - continuity tested all of the connections on the Johnnie B wiring diagram and even flipped everything on and made sure the rear wheels turned... I however FAILED to test it in Reverse!!! Needless to say Reverse does not work... Now all of the body, seats, everything, is back on the cart...

I, in an attempt to figure this out without having to admit that this project has taken me so many months to get to this point, have seemingly gone back through the wiring diagram attempting to find the problem, to no avail. I definitely determined that the Johnnie B diagram in this thread is the correct diagram for my cart. I started by checking the motor voltage, and found some surprising results. All 4 of the posts has 35-36v when the key is off, all rise slight to 37V when key is turned on, and all except A1 progressively drop towards zero (allbeit i did run the RPM's high enough to see zero) when the gas pedal is pressed. A1 is staying at 36v when the gas is pressed.

I then turned to the FNR and found that everything seems to be in the right places, traced all the wires and verified that they match the diagram... Checked across both microswitches and get the "closed" results when I should...

But now, I am at a loss on what to check now.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Any help would be most appreciated!

BTW - anyone know why I wouldn't an email, or an alert of some kind, when new responses are posted to a thread that I have commented on? Just hate the constant refresh routine looking for updates... I am sure I am probably doing something wrong...but like the above, I am at a loss.

Thanks,
Kent

2002 TXT 2+2, Curtis 1205-117 controller, 36V Series motor
Does the solenoid click when the pedal is pushed when in reverse?
If it does, the problem is in the high current contacts in the F/R assembly. (Except for the F/R cam position, everything is the same in F and R)

The movable cam might not be rotating all the way to the mechanical stop, or the center bolt might not be tight enough.

As for e-mail notification, drop down to the reply box and clink the advanced button, then drop down to the "Thread Subscription" box and select the notification type you want.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:39 PM   #9
cartemoff
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB, you are a Master!

Sure enough the center bolt was completely loose. Tightened it and right away, reverse started working!!!

Thank you for all the help!
Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

jb, I owned a 2000 PDS cart with the center FnR button. From what I remember I believe it was just a rotor button with a microswitch on each side that engaged when it was rotated to that side. Pretty simple
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO