lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Default Red wire....

I have a 2004 EZGo PDS. It has been stretched and upgraded to an AC system with 48 volts.

It has been sitting for a month due to weather.

I went out today to check on it. There was some corrosion on the battery terminals. On the first battery it has a small red wire and a white wire going to it. What is the red wire for? It is just hanging there. I don't know if it corroded and fell of or did they disconnect it when they did the AC upgrade.

Thank you.
rhinomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Red wire....

Which battery do you call the first battery, the one with the main positive terminal on it or the main negative terminal?

I suspect it is the one with the main positive terminal.

If your cart had a 36V SoC meter, the red wire probably went to it and was left disconnected when the 48V pack was installed.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Which battery do you call the first battery, the one with the main positive terminal on it or the main negative terminal?

I suspect it is the one with the main positive terminal.

If your cart had a 36V SoC meter, the red wire probably went to it and was left disconnected when the 48V pack was installed.
Good questions. It is the passengers side, forward battery. It also has a small white wire that I believe goes to the charge.
Old 12-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinomike View Post
Good questions. It is the passengers side, forward battery. It also has a small white wire that I believe goes to the charge.
The white wire from the main Positive terminal to the charge receptacle is about 8Ga or 10Ga and the red wire to the 36V SoC meter is 18Ga.

Of course, the red wire might have been used by a previous owner for who knows what, but it there was a factory 36V Soc meter installed, that is probably what the red wire was for.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
The white wire from the main Positive terminal to the charge receptacle is about 8Ga or 10Ga and the red wire to the 36V SoC meter is 18Ga.

Of course, the red wire might have been used by a previous owner for who knows what, but it there was a factory 36V Soc meter installed, that is probably what the red wire was for.
I plugged the cart in and it is charging just fine. I didn't turn it on and test drive it.... I will after it is fully charged.

So it sounds like I don't need the red wire and it was previously disconnected???
Old 12-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #6
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Just asking.....but.....

#1--As JohnnieB stated, if your cart had a State Of Charge (SoC) meter, (Did it have one?) and now when you turn on your key....does it in fact light up now?

#2--Does your cart run now?
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Just asking.....but.....

#1--As JohnnieB stated, if your cart had a State Of Charge (SoC) meter, (Did it have one?) and now when you turn on your key....does it in fact light up now?

#2--Does your cart run now?
Yes. It used to have a SoC meter. But when I did the AC upgrade it was removed. The AC system has its own meter with MPH, RPM, Temp and state of charge.

I just went out and tested it. Everything seems fine. Thank you guys for the advice and the help. I am guessing it was to my old SoC Meter like you guys stated.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Cool!! Just a few suggestions, and I'm sure JohnnieB will add to it as he is a wealth of knowledge. At a minimum I would take that red "hanging" wire and tape (electrical tape) the end off and then fold it up a few times (like as a bow tie would look) then tape it like that. Then you will not have any confusion in the future as to what it is. Second, when you are done using your cart, even if it's only on a short run, always plug in your charger to re-charge your batteries. Leaving your batteries sit at anything less than a full charge is not good for them.

As for the corrosion on the terminals, that's not a good thing either. I usually clean my battery terminals once every 30 to 45 days. First I disconnect the positive cable that goes to the controller, then the negative one. then I use a solution of baking soda and water and a small wire brush, disconnecting each terminal....and clean each one. Make sure you wear goggles and rubber gloves, and make sure your cart is over an area that is gravel, or concrete that can be hosed off when your done. This will keep your battery connections in top order and your batteries will last much longer.

There are also other things you can do to keep your batteries in top shape. Check your water level, don't run them below a 50% charge before recharging them, etc. Check this forum for more information. It's worth the investment in time.

FWIW

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
rhinomike
Getting Wild

Great advice. Thank you. It is greatly appreciated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO