lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
idleize350
Not Yet Wild

Default Series Cart 48V Conversion

Hey guys. Im new to the forum and just want to get some advice on my 48V conversion on my series TXT cart.

I bought the cart with a lift, backseat, 23" tires etc. I got a great deal but it needed new batteries. I originally bought a set of T-605's last week. After some research on here i realized my best bet was to return the batteries and go with a set of T-875's and do a 48V conversion.

Im currently in the process of ordering everything over the next few weeks.

My goal is to get around 25mph eventually. I usually carry 2-4 passengers. The cart is lifted with 23" tires. The cart is just used for neighborhood cruising on very flat paved roads (Miami).

Im going to do 2 AWG wires throughout, Heavy Duty F&R switch, 48V solenoid, 48V Charger, and a 48V controller.

Im eventually going to do a AMD Raptor motor but that won't be for a while.

I came across a great deal on a SPM-48400 controller and want to pull the trigger. Based on my goals etc. will this controller be ok? I know some say go 500amp.

Also any other input/advice would be appreciated.
idleize350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Series Cart 48V Conversion

idleize350....ok...your cart being a series, as is mine, and considering how you plan to use your cart, YES you should go with the SPM-485000 (500 AMP) controller.

If you look at my sig at the bottom of my post, you will see that I have done EVERYTHING you are considering except the 48V upgrade....which I WILL do at my next set of batteries. I have already changed out the motor to the Raptor....and at 36v it runs 27 mph....jump to 48v and its more like 35 mph.

with the things you mentioned, but keeping the stock motor AND jumping to 48v, you will be in the ballpark of 19 mph.

AND to get the best BANG FOR YOUR BUCK.....go to Carts Unlimited, Scotty is one of our sponsors and will give you the best deal/customer support available on the planet!!

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/?wwparam=1367931139

oh and btw.....Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to BGW. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wives', husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
idleize350
Not Yet Wild

SIR Nuke thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to the wealth of knowledge on this site.

It seems like there is a few extra things you have to do when jumping from a 400amp to a 500. Thicker cables, bigger solenoid etc. I just want to make sure the $175 jump was worth it.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleize350 View Post
SIR Nuke thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to the wealth of knowledge on this site.

It seems like there is a few extra things you have to do when jumping from a 400amp to a 500. Thicker cables, bigger solenoid etc. I just want to make sure the $175 jump was worth it.
400a is good for flat ground
500a will allow the motor to produce more torque for hills, taller tires, mud, sand, or tall grass on footing
You will need to upgrade all high amp cables (4g for 400a / 2g for 500a)
Additionally you will need to upgrade the F&R in a series cart as all the amperage travels through it. In a series cart the jump to 48v is the biggest bang for the buck.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

dont forget the charger!!!!
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
idleize350
Not Yet Wild

Finally got everything in and finished up the conversion. Definitely got a noticeable jump in speed and TQ. I ended up getting the SPM-48500 controller, 2GA wire, and 400amp super duty solenoid.

Big thanks to scottyb and his great service.

I think i may get the motor upgrade sooner than later lol. Im addicted now and want more tq and speed lol.

I was thinking the raptor but i kind of want to hover around 28mph-30.

Any other good motor suggestions to get me in that range?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Bigger! Better! Faster! More Power!! I was also addicted as soon as i built my first one. I really like the Raptor on 48v, but it will put you in the 30-35mph range with street type tires & wheels. I dont really suggest that motor for lifted/big tire applications if you are really gonna use it for any serious off-roading (i tried it, motor heat was not happy).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0719121140.jpg (163.2 KB, 0 views)
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #8
idleize350
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Bigger! Better! Faster! More Power!! I was also addicted as soon as i built my first one. I really like the Raptor on 48v, but it will put you in the 30-35mph range with street type tires & wheels. I dont really suggest that motor for lifted/big tire applications if you are really gonna use it for any serious off-roading (i tried it, motor heat was not happy).
Yea ive heard everyone loves the motor. I will strictly be on the street just don't really want to go over 30mph.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #9
stang99x
Gone Wild

I have an old series cart (1998 to be exact) and I run a 500 alltrax with the AMD7126 raptor in the 36V setup...it'll run 30 anyday on flat ground. I had thought about the 48v conversion myself but honestly, I don't see myself living long to enjoy it going over 30 in a golf cart. And you should to the wire upgrade anyway, it's just one piece of the larger overall pie.
stang99x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:33 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by idleize350 View Post
Yea ive heard everyone loves the motor. I will strictly be on the street just don't really want to go over 30mph.
Talk to D&D and/or Plum Quick, they'll most likely have a motor that meets your needs and expectations.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO