lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
railrider
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez go dcs problem

Guys I have a 97 ezgo 36 volt dcs , i had a problem with it not moving so I ordered new controller and solonoid and replaced microswitches on F n R switch. The cart will move only about 10 ft then just stop but the solonoid never clicks in either direction . I ran the troubleshooter and all checks out but the blue wire, no voltage. Any suggestions ?
railrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ez go dcs problem

Possibly a solenoid problem. Here is the wiring diagram:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...eshooting.html
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
railrider
Not Yet Wild

Yea I have triple checked wiring and still scratching my head. Does that resistor diode combo have to be installed for it to work ?
railrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:13 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by railrider View Post
Yea I have triple checked wiring and still scratching my head. Does that resistor diode combo have to be installed for it to work ?
no - but the solenoid has to click. Check the solenoid activation circuit for a bad switch or connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCS Solenoid activation.jpg (84.6 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by railrider View Post
Guys I have a 97 ezgo 36 volt dcs , i had a problem with it not moving so I ordered new controller and solonoid and replaced microswitches on F n R switch. The cart will move only about 10 ft then just stop but the solonoid never clicks in either direction . I ran the troubleshooter and all checks out but the blue wire, no voltage. Any suggestions ?
The cart only moves a few feet because the solenoid contacts are not closing.
What is happening is that the resistor across the solenoid's contacts charges up the filter capacitors in the controller and when the pedal is pushed, the controller sends that stored energy to the motor, so cart moves, but only until the energy stored in the filter capacitors is depleted. If you left your foot on the pedal, the resistor would get mighty hot.

The controller is working, or at least parts of it are.
The pedal switch is working, or the cart would not move when the pedal is pushed.
That means pack voltage is being applied to the small solenoid terminal with three wires on it, since that is the voltage source for the pedal switch.

Measure the voltage on the solenoid's small terminal with the single (blue) wire connected to it.
With the pedal up, you should measure pack voltage.
If not, the solenoid coil is open.

If you do measure pack voltage there, measure the voltage at the other end of the blue wire, which is Pin-7 on the controller.
If you don't get pack voltage on Pin-7, the blue wire is bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Im not saying this is your problem. The guys on here will help you get to the bottom of this. I have a 99 dcs and had the same issue with solenoid not closing and would move a short distance from the resistor. I tried 2 new controllers from Alltrax and tested solenoid several times to find out it was the 10 pin connector that attaches to the controller was not letting voltage pass through the blue wire. Changed the connector and worked immediately. Just a thought for later!!!
tcascario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcascario View Post
Im not saying this is your problem. The guys on here will help you get to the bottom of this. I have a 99 dcs and had the same issue with solenoid not closing and would move a short distance from the resistor. I tried 2 new controllers from Alltrax and tested solenoid several times to find out it was the 10 pin connector that attaches to the controller was not letting voltage pass through the blue wire. Changed the connector and worked immediately. Just a thought for later!!!
The solenoid activation circuit test should show either the (+) or the (-) missing on the small posts if the 10 pin connector is failed.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

When the voltage at the back side of the molex connector on the controller is good, but the controller isn't responding to it, lift the connecter slightly and use a miniature hook type test lead to get onto the pin itself. (See attached picture)

The nutty thing is that the act of unplugging the molex connector slightly often solves this type of problem.

----------
If a bad connection is suspected, disconnect and clean it. If that solves the problem, disconnect it again and apply a dielectric grease (IE: Sanchem NO-OX-ID A-Special Electrical Contact Grease) and reconnect.

In fact, it is a good idea to treat all the cart's electrical connectors and connections with dielectric grease before any of them acquire enough corrosion to cause problems. (They all will eventually - it is inevitable.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miniature Hook Test Leads.jpg (95.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #9
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcascario View Post
where did you find a 10 pin connector I have a friend here in the park that could use a replacement
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 PM   #10
tcascario
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry hadn't checked this thread in a while. Here is the link where I got it.
http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/acc-adap-pds.htm
tcascario is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO