lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2015, 12:41 PM   #1
msubulldogs11
Not Yet Wild

Default HELP! CV joint/steering question

Hello I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have researched information regarding my problem but can't find anything that helps. Love this site and I have been able to perform other repairs by looking at old threads on here.

A little history:
I bought a used 2007 bad boy buggy a few months ago. (very similar to ez go design from what I've found) I originally thought the batteries were bad and the previous owner did also which resulted in a great deal for my money on the purchase. (wife would never let me buy one for as much as these things cost new) Anyway, long story short I found that the main power coming into the controller had been arcing for quite sometime and it eventually burned all the way off. I drove the buggy for maybe 10 min before realizing this because of lack in power and battery drain. I fixed the issue and luckily the batteries are still in very good condition. The buggy runs great and stays charged as it should now. I also replaced a torn boot in the steering rack assembly.

Now on to the current issue:
I began to notice a little slack in steering and the wheels wobbled. So I investigated by removing the passenger tire. I noticed a little play side to side when holding the hub (where the tire attaches) and pushing it towards the drivers side and vice versa. I removed the two grease fitting bushings/bolts which are indicated as 1 and 2 in the pictures. I found it to be bone dry so I cleaned it all up and blew out the grease holes. Meanwhile, I set the assembly aside and whenever I began to reinstall it the CV joint (assuming correct term) and come off the drive shaft. I spun it until the grooves lined up and pushed it back on. I then installed the two grease fittings and greased them. PROBLEM: Now the steering will turn all the way left then back to center but stops there. When I rotate the tire 180 degrees (half way) the steering will turn all the way right and back to center but not left!! Is it possible that when I put the CV joint back on the drive shaft that it was misaligned and could be the problem?? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I take it apart again attempting to fix the issue if this is in fact the problem. I'm supposed to go on a rabbit hunt this weekend so I would like to fix it ASAP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1mod.jpg (95.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image2mod.jpg (93.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image3.JPG (96.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image4.JPG (95.7 KB, 0 views)
msubulldogs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

Default Re: HELP! CV joint/steering question

I might be able to help, but it will have to be after I get home this evening. I have a BBB also, but its the limo version. Also mine has a five bolt hub on the front not the four bolt, but the front end looks similar.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
msubulldogs11
Not Yet Wild

Thank you!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #4
msubulldogs11
Not Yet Wild

Revolution were you able to find out anything?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:20 AM   #5
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

It was dark when I got home. I'll take some pictures this afternoon.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Revolution
Voltaholic

Mixed Breed

I spent some this evening and I can't possibly see what could possibly be installed wrong to cause that. I would pull it back apart and check each joint.
Old 02-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #7
msubulldogs11
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your input! I pulled it apart last night and the bearings and ring were out of line in the joint which restricted steering. Got it all back together and good to go!

Tags
cv joint, repair, steering
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO