lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default SOC and safe voltage

ive been doing my research on voltage meters and from the 3 pages of threads I read im left with two things unanswered.

1. state of charge, can someone explain this to me? I think it is the percentage of charge left on a battery but how does that correlate with a digital voltage meter.

2. main question- with a digital volt meter on a 36v pack, how far can I run down the volts before I need to charge? what number will the meter say?
rammunition361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: SOC and safe voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammunition361 View Post
ive been doing my research on voltage meters and from the 3 pages of threads I read im left with two things unanswered.

1. state of charge, can someone explain this to me? I think it is the percentage of charge left on a battery but how does that correlate with a digital voltage meter.

2. main question- with a digital volt meter on a 36v pack, how far can I run down the volts before I need to charge? what number will the meter say?

1. Lets look at it with 36v, 42v, and 48v carts in mind.....Here is a chart that will show you the SOC % and how it correlates to voltage.

2. if you look at the cart......the absolute MAX you should ever discharge your pack to before its recharged is 50%, after that you are doing damage that you will not recover from.
HOWEVER.....if your cart has a full charge....and you use it, when you return.....PLUG IT IN!

read and remember everything in the articles in this link and your batteries will last a LOT longer.

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Tutorial.html
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

When out and about and wanting to know when to head back to wherever the charger is located, let the batteries rest a few minutes to let the pack voltage recover from being discharged before using the chart posted.

The pack voltage drops when amps are being drawn from it. The higher the amp flow, the lower the pack voltage drops.

The pack voltage recovery actually last over an hour, but most of it occurs in the first few minutes.
When I'm doing serious battery testing, I wait about 30 minutes after the cart stops to take the pack voltage reading, but when I just want the approximate SoC to know when to head back home, I only wait about 5 minutes.

Fortunately, not waiting long enough produces a lower than true SoC, which is the safe side.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #4
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

great info guys. I will just install the meter and head to charger at 36-36.5v. thanks
Old 02-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
great info guys. I will just install the meter and head to charger at 36-36.5v. thanks
I think you mean ARRIVE at the charger
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
When out and about and wanting to know when to head back to wherever the charger is located, let the batteries rest a few minutes to let the pack voltage recover from being discharged before using the chart posted.

The pack voltage drops when amps are being drawn from it. The higher the amp flow, the lower the pack voltage drops.

The pack voltage recovery actually last over an hour, but most of it occurs in the first few minutes.
When I'm doing serious battery testing, I wait about 30 minutes after the cart stops to take the pack voltage reading, but when I just want the approximate SoC to know when to head back home, I only wait about 5 minutes.

Fortunately, not waiting long enough produces a lower than true SoC, which is the safe side.
I catch myself doing that while using the cart, thinking I need to bring her back, after letting it set a bit I realize, I could of road around longer lol.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I think you mean ARRIVE at the charger
is It that serious? should I head to the charger at 37.0? honest question.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
is It that serious? should I head to the charger at 37.0? honest question.
You should be on the charger at whatever number you like above 36.5...
The deeper the batteries are discharged the fewer cycles they will recharge to 100%. see chart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg battery life cycle Capture.jpg (61.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
rammunition361
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I like the way you answer, its direct and with info to back. thanks you very much
Old 02-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #10
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
I like the way you answer, its direct and with info to back. thanks you very much
I agree, not may people will take the time to do that, something you can appreciate.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO