lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
Scott Rogers
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 TXT PDS need more torque for big hill.

I have a stock 2006 TXT PDS cart. What improvements can I do to the cart to get up a steep hill. (It will barely make it up our hill) Do I need to change the gear ratio?

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 TXT PDS need more torque for big hill.

Welcome to BGW!

If the hill is 25% grade or less, a stock PDS will climb it without much effort, but will slow some.
So the either the hill is over 25% grade, or the cart isn't meeting stock specifications.

How steep in the incline? (Chart attached)

What tire height are you running? (18" is stock height. Taller than stock tire increase speed, but reduce torque and hill climbing ability.)

Do any of the cables get hot? (Hot cables = lost power)

What is the pack voltage while climbing the hill? (Pack could be dropping excessively under load.)

Replacing the stock (300A) controller with an Alltrax DCX400 (or larger) controller will increase both torque and speed. (The stock PDS controller limits motor RPM to 4400, so max speed is about 19MPH. The DCX doesn't limit RPM. so the top speed goes to about 24 MPH, which equates to the max RPM a stock PDS motor will spin with 36V battery pack.)

Going from a 36V battery pack to a 42V pack or 48V pack, which will increase both speed and torque (17% for 42V and 33% for 48V)

Changing to a motor with more torque is another option.

Stock differential gears are 12.44:1 and the biggest that will fit are about 14.92:1, which will up the torque by about 20%, but slow the cart by a similar amount. (This would my last upgrade, and only if needed, other options are easier and less expensive)

FWIW: The tires on my PDS runs out of traction before the drive system runs out of hill climbing torque, so with some upgrading your cart won't slow nearly as much on steep hills, but all electric carts do slow down some on hills.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hill Grade Conversion Chart.JPG (71.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
Scott Rogers
Not Yet Wild

Thank you JohnnieB,

I new with golf carts. I just acquired this cart a couple weeks ago. If you could answer some addition questions it would be greatly appreciated.

It seem the cart is fast. Is this normal or how do I see if a faster chip was changed?

How do I check the Pack Voltage climbing the hill?

Can I add 2 more 6 volt batteries with out causing problems to the system?

Do you know who would sell bigger motor?

Thanks again for your help!!!!!!

Scott
Old 03-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Rogers View Post
Thank you JohnnieB,

I new with golf carts. I just acquired this cart a couple weeks ago. If you could answer some addition questions it would be greatly appreciated.

It seem the cart is fast. Is this normal or how do I see if a faster chip was changed?Put the cart in diagnostic mode. shift F to R 5 times then wait a few seconds the # of beeps you hear indicate the mode chip installed.

How do I check the Pack Voltage climbing the hill? Conncet a handheld meter to the pack or install a digital battery meter to see voltage drop under load

Can I add 2 more 6 volt batteries with out causing problems to the system?NO - you need to upgrade the controller and solenoid (in this cart) before you increase voltage

Do you know who would sell bigger motor? Um, yeah. But bigger motor is usually the last step in upgrades not the first... try increasing amperage and/or voltage supply to the existing motor as a first line of marked improved performance...If you think 30% more power and 24 mph on the flats will meet your needs try the 400a Alltrax control and HD solenoid like in our pkg 808 for PDS carts.

Thanks again for your help!!!!!!

Scott
See answers in red - U hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #5
Scott Rogers
Not Yet Wild

Thank you!

My main concern is more torque to get up steep hill. What would be your best solution? (More batteries,Bigger Cables, Control,Solenoid,Motor?????)
Old 03-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Controller, Solenoid, Cables, and motor would give the most torque.
Email me at the website if you want particulars and pricing.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:07 AM   #7
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've bought all my controller packages from ScottyB. Excellent service every time. His prices on controller and solenoid packages cannot be beat. Included instructions are clear and easy to follow. Highly recommended.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

At this point in time your goal is to have enough torque to climb the hill your cart is now struggling to climb, but goals change.

The trick is to plan ahead and leave your options open.

Rather than the 808 solenoid/controller package, I recommend the 808B since the Super-Duty solenoid (400A contentious/1000A peak) works at 36V, 42V and 48V, while the Heavy-Duty solenoid (200A contentious/800A peak) is voltage specific and will have to be replaced if you decided to go to a higher pack voltage in the future.

The DCX400 works at 36V, 42V and 48V also, so with the 808B package, all you have to do is buy more 6V batteries or switch to 8V batteries when your current set of batteries have to be replaced. Plus a battery charger that matches the pack voltage.

------------
To put the PDS controller into the diagnostic mode, shift from Neutral to Reverse 5 times. See text at bottom of attached label.

Also attached are a chart listing the various "speed chips" and the number of beeps for each as well as a chart listing the speed and regen brake level for each PDS mode.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS Label on Controller Cover.JPG (142.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS J2 mode plugs.jpg (130.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg PDS Mode speed-regen level.JPG (18.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

The DCX400 works at 36V, 42V and 48V also, so with the 808B package, all you have to do is buy more 6V batteries or switch to 8V batteries when your current set of batteries have to be replaced. Plus a battery charger that matches the pack voltage.
A man with vision!! A man with a plan!! A man who can't wait until his current batteries puke....so he can go faster!!!!

'Cause that's what I'd do too!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #10
sonnysmith
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If you up grade to bigger motor, please let me know. I need a pds stock motor.

Thanks
sonny
sonnysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO