lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
seanmcg
Getting Wild

Default What is this goop?

I just went to add some water to my batteries and I noticed this goop all over one of the terminals. What causes this and should I be concerned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
seanmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: What is this goop?

that is corrosion from the battery acid . ALL your terminals need to cleaned (remove from post) with baking soda and water 50/50 and rinsed . then coat with a good battery terminal protector .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #3
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Nasty looking stuff huh
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmcg View Post
-snip- What causes this and should I be concerned?
And with your terminal ends on your cables being open (no heat shrink or sealtight), it is imperative that you get the open sections thoroughly cleaned as the acid will precipitate out after you clean the terminal ends due to it gets embedded in with the copper strands. And if you happen to have some heat shrink laying around and you are keeping those cables, you could always add it at that time.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #5
Down South
Growing In Grace

Club Car

I saw this thread eariler but didn't comment. It's corrosion caused from battery acid as we know. I'ts common to happen on our golf carts, lawnmowers, cars, trucks, etc unless we do predictive maintenance to prevent it.
As mentioned. put the cart in tow. Pull the terminals from the posts, clean the terminals and posts well, "Wire brush may be needed" put back together and use something like this to spray liberally on each terminal.
That red terminal may need to be replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRC.jpg (25.2 KB, 0 views)
Down South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: What is this goop?

Wire brushing for sure...the tops of your batteries need to be kept clean and dry because they create a path for current flow under the right conditions...😎
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
DaveTM
Gone Wild

BTW, when you do this cleaning, I would suggest you do it outside. I do mine in the yard.....in the grass. I may kill some grass.....but it grows back. I don't do it over concrete. Battery terminal corrosion will cause your batteries to lose their power more quickly than if you keep 'em "clean 'n spiffy."
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car