lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
ccds
Not Yet Wild

Default 48V reducer wiring with 12V accessory relays

Question regarding wiring diagram for voltage reducer with 12V relays to each accessory. First off, my cart is a 2004 Club Car DS 48V (Ser#AA0411). I got this cart with a bucket of 12V accessories without spec sheets for amperage draw, etc. I purchased the 4 wire reducer from carts unlimited along with the fuse panel and ground bar. I plan on having 4 total circuits (1 x 20" led bar, 1 x head/tail lights, 1 x radio, 2 x 3" led pods wired together). All circuits will have their own relay and three prong switch on the dash. This is the plan...I can change according to advise from here. I also bought the digital volt meter, but assume it wires in like the old came out.

My main question is how to wire the 12V relays. The diagram I plan to use is the switchable voltage reducer diagram that came with the reducer, but I'd like to add 12V relays to each circuit and not sure how to accomplish that. I get stumped with the #30 pin because I don't have a 12V battery to run to. Can I use a +12V buss bar? Plus the switches I have are all three prong, and a little confused on the supply terminal.

I currently have the reducer wired as follows: Yellow to 48V out on the cart switch (Is this correct for my cart? Other posts say to run to controller, not sure on my cart if I need to do that), Red going straight to battery pack, Black going straight to battery pack, green going to fuse block.

I did a quick sketch of my parts/accessories to try and draw a diagram, but it would probably cause more confusion with my drawing abilities. I am also unsure of the correct fuse size to add and where. Can somebody be of assistance? I can try and upload my drawing, but I don't have wire/fuses drawn in. Thank you in advance for any help.
ccds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: 48V reducer wiring with 12V accessory relays

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccds View Post
Question regarding wiring diagram for voltage reducer with 12V relays to each accessory. First off, my cart is a 2004 Club Car DS 48V (Ser#AA0411). I got this cart with a bucket of 12V accessories without spec sheets for amperage draw, etc. I purchased the 4 wire reducer from carts unlimited along with the fuse panel and ground bar. I plan on having 4 total circuits (1 x 20" led bar, 1 x head/tail lights, 1 x radio, 2 x 3" led pods wired together). All circuits will have their own relay and three prong switch on the dash.

i would not use switch for radio

This is the plan...I can change according to advise from here. I also bought the digital volt meter, but assume it wires in like the old came out.

are you sure you want to trust someone else's wiring ?

My main question is how to wire the 12V relays. The diagram I plan to use is the switchable voltage reducer diagram that came with the reducer, but I'd like to add 12V relays to each circuit and not sure how to accomplish that. I get stumped with the #30 pin because I don't have a 12V battery to run to. Can I use a +12V buss bar? Plus the switches I have are all three prong, and a little confused on the supply terminal.

I currently have the reducer wired as follows: Yellow to 48V out on the cart switch (Is this correct for my cart?
yes
Red going straight to battery pack,
yes
Black go to contriller b-

green going to fuse block.
yes
I did a quick sketch of my parts/accessories to try and draw a diagram, but it would probably cause more confusion with my drawing abilities. I am also unsure of the correct fuse size to add and where.

fuse should be 20amp in fuse box

Can somebody be of assistance? I can try and upload my drawing, but I don't have wire/fuses drawn in. Thank you in advance for any help.

i would not use relay for radio

you would do the same for each relay
Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 AM   #3
ccds
Not Yet Wild

Great! Thanks for the quick response! That helps a bunch. One question; the drawing shows the black/negative from controller to ground bar. Should that be b- controller? Thanks
Old 05-31-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
ccds
Not Yet Wild

Sorry.....black/negative from "reducer" to b- on controller and not ground bar
Not
Old 05-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #5
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccds View Post
Sorry.....black/negative from "reducer" to b- on controller and not ground bar
Not
no it is showing a ground bar hooked to negative of a reducer

will work on any club car with OBC
Old 05-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
REDSLED
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not to hijack thread but is it advisable to use relay when wiring up LED small light bars (one 12" and two 4") or just wire from fuse panel to switch? I normally use relays on all the lights and accessories I have on my truck, just wasn't sure if it is different when using a reducer.
REDSLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 AM   #7
crash test dummy

Some say always use a relay
i personally don't , even on my jeep
Old 05-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
REDSLED
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you. I'm using 15a HD switches, and running just LED light bars. I couldn't see it being a problem. Sure does lessen all the xtra wiring and such.
REDSLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:26 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

On automobiles a lot of times is not about the current capacity of the switch as much as it is the source of power.

If You want your switch to only be active when the key is ON, the key switch power circuit is typically very weak and You would need to run a relay OFF the battery power for any high current accessories.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:09 PM   #10
ccds
Not Yet Wild

CTD....thanks, I'm trackin now. Thanks again for all the help. I'll post some pics of the progress when I get some time off work to mess with the cart.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car