lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
TexPI
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default looking for smooth ride

Proud owner of a much modified, repaired, rewired, overhauled and probably abused 1996 Club Car. It's our first cart and need some advice on best approach to getting a smoother ride. We've replaced the very low profile tires (was running 225/35ZR20 on 22" wheels with a more reasonable set of 23" street/turf on 12" wheels and that helped but I'm pretty certain the cart has the original shocks.

As you can expect, with those original tires & wheels, it has a pretty radical lift.

Question is: how do I determine if the shocks are in fact in need of replacement?

Thanks!

Last edited by TexPI; 06-12-2017 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: error in year
TexPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: looking for smooth ride

Shocks with oil & dust all over them are used-up. But since you posted in the Yamaha section, I have to suggest getting a Yamaha to smooth out your ride.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
justwondering
A Gal with a Cart!
Yamaha

We can't tell that you prefer Yamaha..lol

Testing a shock on a golf cart is about like testing a shock on a car.

Push down on the cart (step on the bumper if you can or push down on the body- ) 3 or four times in a row. Check the back shocks and then check the front ones
1. do you hear squeaks
2. does the cart take a long time to return to the starting height
3. does the cart not return to the starting height
4. does it seem extra bouncy or soft
5. does it NOT move up and down
Replace the shocks

Since you don't know much about its history, I would replace the shocks if there was any doubt at all. Just a maintenance issue like changing oil, topping off the differential, checking the belt wear.
justwondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #4
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

I think when the CC types chime in you'll find out fast that they don't call them shocks, but dampeners. IMO, that's just an easy way out of designing a smooth riding cart and relying on old school (cheap) leaf springs. Just like on a horse buggy.

The front "dampeners" can only be OEM. There are no cross reference shocks. Read where a few pull them off only to find out the new OEM's were just as easy to pull out and push in.

Other thing I think you'll find out is that your cart might have HD rear leafs. Give them a count, if you see 3 or more then unless you have a ton of weight back there, don't expect much give. Many take the rear shocks off even because they serve no purpose.

I use my CC DS mostly on gravel roads so I expect a bumpy ride. Will love to see what your solution is, with a little bit of luck I'll piggyback off of it.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
rib33024

Moved to Club Car forum
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Springs are what give the deflection on the suspension, shocks are there to slow the deflection. To get a smooth ride use tall sidewall tires with low air pressure, springs that will hold the weight but not stiff, then the shocks can smooth the bounce of the springs.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Porkman
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

What pressure are you running in the tires?
Porkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks, smoother ride
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car