lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #1
halftrack
Not Yet Wild

Default 98-CC DS High Pitch screech during acceleration

It's a 98 club car DS 48V I added Alltrax SR48500 SR controller 500 AMP solenoid about 8 weeks ago and all was good then. I decided to add 2AWG wiring kit and damaged motor loosening wiring terminal S2. I wanted more speed and torque so I bought AMD 11HP 7114 torque motor. Now during acceleration I hear a high pitched noise sounds like microwave oven alert only this is continuous and lasts until throttle is lifted or load is removed from cart. I am trying to isolate the item making this noise. No luck so far. Can this be The Motor? I did not change the program in the controller for this new motor and it is not as smooth as the original motor, but a lot more speed and torque. Any ideas appreciated.
halftrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: 98-CC DS High Pitch screech during acceleration

I have no idea that would be a solid answer, but if you had a stock motor and your program was set to that in your controller, I am sure they are not meshing well....

Did you buy it from a site sponsor here? If so, just give them a call and discuss the motor and the controller program. If you didn't, they will probably still offer some assistance but you can check Alltrax and see if there is a map for that particular motor or get with their tech rep and seek his suggestion for programing it to work with the new motor. You can make all the changes yourself.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Unfortunately no Field or Motor maps for Series Controller, they just adjust power by varying the duty cycle of the carrier frequency.

Those Controllers work on high frequencies, typically above 16kHz, but somehow it must be resonating in your Motor.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftrack View Post
It's a 98 club car DS 48V I added Alltrax SR48500 SR controller 500 AMP solenoid about 8 weeks ago and all was good then. I decided to add 2AWG wiring kit and damaged motor loosening wiring terminal S2. I wanted more speed and torque so I bought AMD 11HP 7114 torque motor. Now during acceleration I hear a high pitched noise sounds like microwave oven alert only this is continuous and lasts until throttle is lifted or load is removed from cart. I am trying to isolate the item making this noise. No luck so far. Can this be The Motor? I did not change the program in the controller for this new motor and it is not as smooth as the original motor, but a lot more speed and torque. Any ideas appreciated.
Would loosening this terminal have allowed field wirings to move slightly? (I don't know what S2 attaches to). If that could have happened then acceleration might be causing the armature to rub slightly, causing the squealing.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #5
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oops.... Sorry, ignore that last post. I just reread and realised that after that damage the OP replaced the motor and it is the replacement (or something else) that is squealing.
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:39 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Unfortunately no Field or Motor maps for Series Controller, they just adjust power by varying the duty cycle of the carrier frequency.

Those Controllers work on high frequencies, typically above 16kHz, but somehow it must be resonating in your Motor.
Can it be shielded or lowered to reduce the resonation? (You would think this has happen to them with other installations and they (manufacturers) would hopefully have a fix)

halftrack, if Sergio or someone here does not come up with one of their terrific solutions they are so well known for, I would definitely pose this to the Admiral and Alltrax tech support teams as they may have already addressed this in the past and have a solution. If not, they will surely want to now.....
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
halftrack
Not Yet Wild

I will reach out to alltrax then AMD about this issue. After running this new motor for 40 minutes at least half of that at full throttle the motor and wires were warm , but not hot to the touch. I could hold the motor tightly with my hands. That was with 2 of us in the cart. My wife says she can hear a squeel with just moderate load. It's too small for me to hear. I only hear it under larger load, accelerating from stop or up hill full power.. thanks again for any help.
halftrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would guess we are all probably imagining different sounds in the absence of a recording.

Since the sound is more noticeable at 100% throttle, that is more likely related to brush noise.

The sound may reduce as the brushes wear out and start getting more curve shaped like the commutator ring.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

When I put my new AMD motor on I had a whining sound that I noticed a few times, but I don't think it has that whine now.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car