lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2017, 03:40 PM   #1
theshaww
Not Yet Wild

Default Solenoid question about input coil voltage

Hello, I'd like to start by saying that I have worked on electronics my entire life, so I'm no rookie. However, I can not find a rating on the stock 36v solenoid that came on my 1989 Club Car. I am using a second 36v solenoid that I bought as a backup to trigger something on my 1989 Club Car and I want to know if our solenoids can handle a 36v input voltage. I plan on connecting the coil of the auxiliary solenoid directly to the top speed contact so that once the wiper hits the top gear, it would trip the solenoid. I already have the solenoid and the diode setup and ready to go, I just don't want to fry my solenoid and have to start over. Lots of reasons why I want to do this, but I'd mainly just like to know if the 36v input would burn the coil. Thanks in advance.
theshaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Solenoid question about input coil voltage

Well I just rewired my Harley with a 36v solid state system, and the Curtis 36v solenoid that I used was 36v for the coil voltage...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

I'm not 100% sure of the question. Are you asking will the solenoid/contactor take 36 volts? Because if so, it will and has to be to correctly operate. Just like my 48v uses a 48v input to close it in and transfer current.

Or are you asking about the amperage capability of it?
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you are wiring a VGlide high-speed by-pass I can post a summary of previous information about it.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:09 AM   #5
theshaww
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
Well I just rewired my Harley with a 36v solid state system, and the Curtis 36v solenoid that I used was 36v for the coil voltage...
Thanks! Worked out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan4Ever View Post
I'm not 100% sure of the question. Are you asking will the solenoid/contactor take 36 volts? Because if so, it will and has to be to correctly operate. Just like my 48v uses a 48v input to close it in and transfer current.

Or are you asking about the amperage capability of it?
Perfect, got it wired up and everything worked great.

So... I wired the last two contacts inside of the speed control (wiper style) to solenoids. I was tired of cleaning and replacing the last two contacts and the wiper because of arcing. I had the motor beefed up, added a lift and large tires, and the wiper system couldn't handle the current. The solenoids cause the it to ride like a new cart now. Prior, the arcing was so bad that it would lose power when changing voltage and it burned the contacts badly once a year.
theshaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car