lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #11
1sharphook

Default Re: pq bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregorio View Post
FYI, the PQ motor will eliminate regen braking.
+1 I would never consider a motor solution that gives up regen braking.
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2017, 01:11 PM   #12
william h
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Iam getting mixed signals here guys? My goal is to get to between 23 and 25 mph on what amounts to more or less level ground? 1 can do 19 to 21 now at speed setting 4 with the regen and braking set at minamal I have the funds to go cables and motor or cables and controller ?? I have no intrest in modifying it beyond reaching that speed
william h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
1sharphook

What you want to accomplish has been discussed quite a bit. You can read about your options here:

http://tinyurl.com/excel-speed-options
Old 08-13-2017, 02:25 PM   #14
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

You are limited by the Speed Code 4 in the stock controller. As much as I like the performance of the PQ, their approach is not ideal. You will get 25-26MPH on the stock motor if you were able to bypass the speed sensor which is sort of how they do it. Your stock controller will still limit the amount of torque or acceleration you can get not matter what motor you pick.

I'm getting 25 on flat ground with my setup in my signature. Looks like you have taller tires than me and will get even more. The cable and solenoid upgrades are needed regardless but the controller will achieve your goals plus a lot more than just the motor.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 PM   #15
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by william h View Post
Iam getting mixed signals here guys? My goal is to get to between 23 and 25 mph on what amounts to more or less level ground? 1 can do 19 to 21 now at speed setting 4 with the regen and braking set at minamal I have the funds to go cables and motor or cables and controller ?? I have no intrest in modifying it beyond reaching that speed
You're not getting mixed signals, you asked a question and are getting answers through opinions.

The facts as I see them are:
1- You have a sepex cart which allows some speed and torque with a controller (Series will not)
2- You have the benefit of regen with your cart (You have to decide if you want to maintain that or not)
3- You only need to get 2 to 4 mph more to reach your goal and you do not want to go any further.

Based on what you say and where you want to be, you can get there with the cables and an XCT controller (The XCT-48300 ($~415) will give you 350 peak amps and complete user control (speed, torque, regen braking, etc.) via the Alltrax tool kit on your PC or laptop without giving up your regen. The XCT-48500 is ~$519, so if you are not going further down the road, then you do not need to waste the $'s - again your preference)

With that set up and assuming that is your cart in the avatar pic, then with your larger diameter tires, you will easily get where you want to be.....

If money is tight and you don't want/care about regen capabilities, the PQ from your neighbor for $250 is a good choice to, but they (PQ) will need to tell you where it will put your cart, I know it will increase it, but you will still be limited to your controller's capabilities....

Good luck with whatever you decide!
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:02 AM   #16
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
+1 I would never consider a motor solution that gives up regen braking.
I agree and for this reason alone...

I put one in for a guy and within ONE DAY he ran it wide open going down a hill and over spun the motor and exploded the commutator and armature and also fried his controller in the process! So when it was all said and done he ended up buying TWO motors AND a controller because of his own foot! There's no safeguard against doing that other THAN you own foot! PQ motors are the cheap and fast upgrade for speed but little in the ways of torque and no way to guarantee that you or someone you let drive it wont do damage simply by trying to see how fast it can go. I'm not trying to tell you NOT to because PQ does a good job at what they do but just be cautious because these things CAN happen..I've seen it first hand!
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #17
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have a PQ Bandit on a 2010 Precedent Excel cart. Everything else is stock including the controller which is set on code 3. I get 23 to 25 MPH and also have the regen braking. I didn't give up anything. I'd suggest contacting Robbie @ PQ.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
Gregorio
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55BigBlock View Post
I have a PQ Bandit on a 2010 Precedent Excel cart. Everything else is stock including the controller which is set on code 3. I get 23 to 25 MPH and also have the regen braking. I didn't give up anything. I'd suggest contacting Robbie @ PQ.
The description on their website says "Speed up to 25mph (with stock controller, good quality battery pack, and all Regen braking is removed with Bandit upgrade)." Did they make a custom build for you? I've avoided them because they remove regen. If it is an option to keep it, I'd be interested.
Gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
55BigBlock
Gone Wild

Club Car

I've had mine for a couple years. I drove down to PQ, took my motor and told Robbie what I had. About 2 weeks later I went and picked it up. I've been well pleased and if anything the regen braking is more noticeable now than it was with the stock motor. You need to talk to them to clarify.
55BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #20
Nsane
Gone Wild

Club Car

Not sure, I have had two of the Bandit motors with stock controllers and both still had regen braking. As with 55 Bigblock I go down there to talk with Robbie and Rick about what I want. I suggest if you really want a P/Q motor, call them and ask with your questions directly with them.
Nsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car