lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default That guy is an IDIOT! PDS braking questions.

By 'that guy' I mean me and by IDIOT I mean IDIOT...

ok, I have a new-to-me 2011 EZGO PDS. I got it this week with no manuals. I know these have regen braking and if I completely stop the cart and lift the brake and push the cart, it takes some effort to roll and it beeps. So I think the regen braking is working after the cart comes to a complete stop.

But, when riding and I hit the brakes, this thing doesn't want to stop... My only comparison was my old 85 EZGO marathon. That would drop from 23mph to 0 in no time flat. I had no problems running WOT. But the new 48v cart has 23" OD wheels and is a 4 seater. Obviously very different, but I don't feel comfortable under any urgent-stopping situation...

My questions are:
1) Does the regen braking work with the physical brakes under normal braking conditions?
2) Is the regen braking amount adjustable?
3) Are 2011 PDS carts just not going to stop all that fast with bigger tires and so this behavior is 'normal'?

Thanks,
Bronsonj
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: That guy is an IDIOT! PDS braking questions.

If it has the stock controller, yes it has regen but how much is determined by what mode it is in. Most everyone wants to go fast so they put them in freedom mode so about 19 with stock tires and low 20s on 23 inch. Freedom mode is the least amount of regen.

Also, brakes may just need to be cleaned and adjusted.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If you have the newer curtis model, you can set regen level independently of speed setting. Look for a small black round port with a seal-cap on it and 4 wires. If you have this, you have the newer, nicer controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I do have that port! I was wondering what the heck it was for. I assumed it was a diagnostic lead or something. It's zip-tied right up near the seat.

I don't want to give up speed but I would like a little more regen.

I will do as KGSC suggests this weekend. Open it up and clean out the dust. Get a visual on it to see if other issues exist.

So, CGTech, is the regen setting something I can do myself? I'd be surprised if it is, but have to ask.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, CGTech, does the Curtis Controller give me access to any other cool settings I may want to change? How do I find out what model of controller I have? If I know the model maybe I can find info to read through online and maybe ask better, more informed questions here.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

You have to get your hands on a curtis programmer. Your local dealer should have one, or you can rent one from ebay. If you get the 4401 programmer, there are lots of things you can play with (some you shouldnt tho). The programmer allows you to make a "backup" copy (save settings to programmer), so if you screw it up, you can put the original settings back. It does not do this automaticly, and there are settings that you still shouldnt mess with. Feel free to adjust the speed settings, acceleration settings, & regen settings, most others you should leave alone.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #7
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool! Thanks CG!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO