lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
gamer1
Getting Wild

Default what new cart to buy

I am thinking about selling my 2000 pds and buying a new one. We will use it for golfing only but...I live about a mile from the course and drive there most of the time. There are 2 real steep hills going and coming plus I drive on the side of the road and would like to maintain more speed. The present cart runs about 17 mph with the speed chip on level ground. Now for the question:

Should I buy gas or electric? Which one would maintain the best speed (stock) back and forth to the course? Is any brand better than another....If I buy electric it would be ez go....but if gas not sure. Is gas ez go better or worse than gas club car? Thanks
gamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: what new cart to buy

Will the course let you run a gas cart? should be the first question.

But I don't know about top speed on a stock gas cart but I would bet it would be the same as the one you got or slower. With the gas you wouldn't have batteries as an issue. Most loss of hill climbing power on an electric cart has to do with the loss of juice and age of batteries.

So the one mile trip to the course then the course itself and then the one mile trip back home is prob about all you can squeeze out of that battery pack.

How old are the batteries in your cart?
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

My 1998 cart runs a mile to the course and back, will still do 36 holes and has 2004 batteries.
Unless you're buying a new cart for looks, I don't see any reason to replace the one you have as there won't be any performance gains. IMO,any monies you have to put towards a new cart can be used for paint and accessories to make your existing cart stand out in a crowd of blah golf course rental carts.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #4
ssdane
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I agree with Doug. Unless your cart has been ragged out, personally I would keep it. The price of a set of batteries is a long way from cost of new cart, plus you might could change the chip also. Good Luck!
ssdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #5
Russ/TN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You might want to check out an Alltrax DCX 400 PDS controller and a set of #4 gauge cables.
As long as your batteries are good this will give you a noticeable bump in speed and torque for less than a new cart. (spend the rest on pimpin' your cart as suggested above).
Russ/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
gamer1
Getting Wild

thanks to everyone. I too can play 36 holes after driving to the course but don't like doing it because it does run the batteries very low making the trip home a slow one and I know its not good on the batteries. Sometimes with me ( 240 #) and another large person playing just 18 holes puts me in the same situation.. My batteries are 3 years old and I have taken really good care of them..... they all check good. 6.40 to 6.44. Still not sure which to buy if I buy.
gamer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
galloway
Gone Wild

Club Car

It can't hurt to give Altrax a call they are good guys. Tell them what your situation is and see if they can give you a good recommendation on a new setup and then come back here and give some site sponsors a call and see what they might be able to work up for ya :)
galloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
COURTESYCART
Gone Wild

you also have to understand the bigger the controller the more amps will be used the less time travled. There probably not be a noticable distance decrease if you go 400 amp.

What brand batteries. Some batteries are better than others. I would replaced all wires to 4ga. I tell customer that every 3-5 years you need to replace your cables, Its just good preventive maintance.

But if you wanted a new cart with speed and distance look into teh new EZGO lsv. They are expensive but they tell me it has a range of 40 miles or so and goes 25 mph.
COURTESYCART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Reelfly
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

You should take a look at the RXV. Plenty of range and power to climb the hills.
Reelfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #10
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Unless you're buying a new cart for looks, I don't see any reason to replace the one you have as there won't be any performance gains.
Respectfully I have to disagree with you. There is a HUGE performance difference between his current cart and a new RXV. Speed, Power and Driving Distance are all MUCH better on the new RXV carts.

Also, just to put this out there, if you do decide to go with a gas cart, both E-Z-GO and Club car run the same brand of motor..... Kawasaki Single cylinder.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO