lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #1
zz5mj9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Voltage Converter / 3 Position Key

New to site. Lot of great info.

Has anyone used a 3 position key switch to turn on and off a voltage converter? Have look at a few post were the concern was leaving the converter with power to it all the time. Have seen posts were a toggle is used to turn on and off but key switch would be more convenient.

Installing 24V-48V to 12V, 25 amp converter from Everything Carts. On 03 Ez-go series.

Thanks
Kevin
zz5mj9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Voltage Converter / 3 Position Key

I have my 12V converter on the key switch. It powers up and down with the cart, so the 12V is available to all accessories. The lights on my cart are on the second position on the switch. Off - Cart/Converter on - Lights on. Works great for me.
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
zz5mj9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply Free Spirit. How do you have it wired up?
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the simplest method is to install a second 36v (or 48v) solenoid and tap off the green wire at the F&R to activate the second solenoid. This would then allow the power to flow for the voltage reducer.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Free Spirit
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I've got my voltage converter wired to the solenoid, but I put mine on the small post that isn't hot all the time (key circuit, not high amp to controller). Use a volt meter to see which one that is on your cart.
Free Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't have a voltage reducer, but I'll tell you what I did, in case it gives you or others ideas. I need to draw it up in Visio. I have a 36 volt cart, so I have three 12 volt circuits. I have my 50 watt stereo on one, headlights on the second, and tail lights, dome light, wig-wags, neons, and accessories jack on the third. I routinely check individual battery voltage and can rotate the loads if needed, but the batteries are staying very close. I bought a uniquely keyed 3 position switch. Position one is only the cart. Position 2 engages a 36 volt four pole 20 amp relay, which turns on all accessories EXCEPT the 12 volt needed to keep my stereo memory. An alternative to this could be a small gel cell or four 3 volt button cells, as the radio memory probably only needs a little current. Otherwise, you'll end up losing all station programming, clock, EQ settings, etc.

Adam
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
zz5mj9
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Guys

rabbitreborn wouldn't the power be interrupted when going from forward to reverse?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz5mj9 View Post
Thanks Guys

rabbitreborn wouldn't the power be interrupted when going from forward to reverse?
no because the power coming back on the small green wire at the F&R remains constant at 36 ( or 48 ) volts as long as the key is turned on.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO