lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Post EZGO PDS Brakes

I have a quick question. I am going to have to work on my 2004 PDS' brakes and I wanted to know if any Asbestos is used in the brake assembly for this model year. If there is, I have to buy the necessary clothing to protect from it, but I thought Asbestos was banned like 20 years ago. I don't know. But anyway I would just like to know if it is ok to do it myself or should I take it in because of the dust? I will be happy to do this myself but don't want to die. Thanks for the help!
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO PDS Brakes

You been listening to the old mechanics again, haven't you?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #3
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Yes. Exactly who I've been listening to.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I want to say there is not asbestos in the brake shoes .... but lets hear what others have to say about the actual content of 2005 Ezgo brake shoes.... not 1955 brake shoes...... Certainly we have progressed? I am in serious doubt that modern brake shoes are made with asbestos.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:38 AM   #5
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

I can't tell if that's sarcasm like Dustin you are a dumbass Asbestos was banned in the 60s. Or if you really meant let's hear from the others.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:41 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgokid View Post
I can't tell if it's sarcasm like Dustin you are such a dumbass those were banned in the 60s. Or if you really meant let's hear from the others.
I just can't put my finger on what we are using.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the edit. I was reading a post in the club car section about brakes and an unnamed member gave me really good advice on how to protect yourself from asbestos when working on brakes, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a hazmat suit for nothing.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've never enquired but since the use of that material has been banned for more than 20 years now, I seriously doubt there is any in the brake shoes.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Thanks rabbit. Just making sure

Here is that CC thread I was talking about.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tands-now.html
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A little research on modern brake linings gives confirms our guess about composition. There are many alternative materials. They are still not healthy when breathed in so wearing a particle mask is still a good idea. But probably no need to throw your cloths away when done.

Quote:
Asbestos was widely used in pads for its heat resistance, but due to health risks has been replaced with alternative materials, such as mineral fibers, cellulose, aramid, PAN, chopped glass, steel, and copper fibers. Depending on material properties, disc wear rates vary. The properties that determine material wear involve trade-offs between performance and longevity. Newer pads can be made of exotic materials like ceramics, aramid fibres, and other plastics. Vehicles have different braking requirements. Friction materials offer application-specific formulas and designs. Brake pads with a higher coefficient of friction provide good braking with less brake pedal pressure requirement, but tend to lose efficiency at higher temperatures, increasing stopping distance. Brake pads with a smaller and constant coefficient of friction don’t lose efficiency at higher temperatures and are stable, but require higher brake pedal pressure.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO