lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Total Charge III ... trouble

Yeah, I thought that maybe they had switched the Amp meter wires also, but I couldn't find Positive - Negative markers on the meter. The DC Plug / Disconnect is a true EZGo, and is a perfect match/manufacterer for the jack/recepticle on the cart, which is an '89 Marathon. Cart runs really well, and I've been keeping it charged via a time consuming process of three 12 volt chargers... I agree, with the help and expertise of you guys here I may be able to fix it. Problem being I have to return it tomorrow to get my $100 back. I've already put in about 4 man-hours with it... I guess we know the relay and/or PC board is toast; right? What would happen if the Amp meter was simply reversed, and I swapped them. Would it work with that relay jumped as I have now? Thanks guys.
Soldat1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #12
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the problem is that there is no pos/neg on the meter..... the meter simply gives a visual indicator of the current flowing through it... they are both negative. I suppose it is possible that they are flowing the positive through the meter (which would give a negative reading) although I have no idea why they would do that.....

Is there any way you could take some pics of the wiring inside the charger for us?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #13
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

OK, I'll try to post pictures; never done this before... 064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg
Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Those are great PICS! They enlarge when I click em too ... Rabbit will be able to fix it from those pics. (thumbsup)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #15
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

A couple more... By the way; the EZGo DC plug and jack are the Anderson Power Products.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 069.jpg (203.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 072.jpg (178.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 073.jpg (187.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 070.jpg (176.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 071.jpg (180.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 06-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

Oops... I did something wrong posting that second group; came out different...
Old 06-19-2011, 01:16 PM   #17
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The pics are perfect... I am looking over all the connections and everything in the charger looks dead on.....

inside the cart, does the positive go to the D/S inside front positive post and the negative go to the P/S inside front negative? If you place your meter probes on these 2 terminals, what voltage are you seeing?

Connections inside the charger would not lead me to believe there is anything at all wrong with the charger (well other than the relay that we know has failed). the rectifiers on the rear of the charger should not be allowing power to reverse at all, so that isn't an issue.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #18
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

quick test I need you to perform as well.....

plug the DC cord into the car and use your meter to place the black probe on the stud on the back of the amp gauge and the red probe on the white wire (the one that has the 16 guage red connected to it) at the heat sink and give me a reading both with it unplugged from the wall as well as with it plugged into the wall and running. would love to see what the voltages are in both cases. For safety sake, don't leave it plugged into the wall for long. Just long enough to get a quick reading (in fact if someone is there that can plug it into the wall for you and unplug it as soon as you get a reading that would even be better, or if you have a set of alligator clips for your meter, that would work well too....)
Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #19
Soldat1953
Not Yet Wild

Hey, thanks Rabbitreborn... Yeah, cart's wired fine. Positive (the bottom wire in jack) is the short cable to the closest Pos on first battery. Negative is the long cable over to Neg post on last battery on passenger side. I've always used the charging port/jack to monitor my battery pack voltage with my multi-meter. I know it's goofy, but been working fine since I got the cart last year. I'll try to get to your test later this afternoon. My dad's coming down for a visit for Father's Day, and he's an old helicopter pilot/mechanic... Thanks for your help, and I hope I can get this thing trouble shot before tonight. Otherwise I take it back when I go on duty tomorrow at 0700...
Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #20
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

worst case, the charger is completely dead and you get your money back... best case, you and your dad have a moment to bond and fix it up.... either way, sounds like a win win situation to me....

Keep me posted and if I can help, you know I will.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO