lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #21
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2003 TXT Steering rattle

Tried the toe in on mine a little while ago - loosened and turned the link 2 complet turns - steering seems to be tighter and seems to turn easier (almost too easy) but made little to no improvement in clunk. After jacking it up and shaking and feeling everything under there, it almost seems as if there is too much play in the linkage from the steering column to the steering box - almost like a worn u-joint.

I tightened the bolts down as tight as they'd go - no difference. From the looks it of it though, the whole assembly gets replaced at one time.
LizardLeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #22
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Eureka - I think I found it - just not sure how to fix it...

See the circled area on this lift - this is close enough to lift to serve as a picture. Might even be my lift...

Where the bolt goes through, holding the spindle/hub on, the drivers wheel rattles about 1/8" up and down and sounds like metal to metal. Bolt is tight - not sure what the torque is supposed to be, but is as tight as I can get it. Barely moved at all when I tried to tighten.

Doesn't appear to be any type of bushing at all. Is something missing, did they install this wrong (buggie came with the lift)?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (14.3 KB, 13 views)
Old 08-12-2011, 01:55 PM   #23
TDAWG
Gone Wild

As AzPete suggested, you could try putting a thrust washer in that area to take up the slack.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #24
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Tractor supply had two different machine bushings in the size I needed (if anyone has the same lift, look for a 1" x 1-1/2" machine bushing).

The bigger one in the 5 pack was too thick. The thinner one in the single pack fit like a charm and with just the driver wheel done, about 70% of the clunk is gone.

About to do the passenger - wish me luck.

If any of the experts can chime in and tell me if I'm going to screw something up by doing this....
Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #25
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Got both of the thrust bearings installed - install was fairly easy. Took about 80-90% of the "clunk" out of my steering - for $1.60 worth of washers!

Still have the steering rattle, but I think that may be just the nature of the beast.

After all of the work the past few weeks - it was time to go get some stank on the ole' girl

Atone point I really thought I needed that posi trac unit from Plowmans (called again today and left another message - still no reply)

Poochie Puppy (Riley) was not happy with me for making him stay on the cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo4.jpg (131.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (203.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #26
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

I finally got time to look more closely at mine. I found that the top U-joint on the intermediate steering shaft was sloppy and there is slack in the steering box itself too. I just ordered both so hopefully it will be quiet when installed. Kinda defeats the purpose of having an electric cart for hunting when you cart bangs and rattles every bump you hit.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #27
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Mine has the same little slack in the intermediate shaft, but I can't see where it could be tightened. Please keep me posted - might be ordering one as well if it works for you!

If you have any slack at all in the, I guess that would be the king pin, it really made a big difference for the loud clunks on mine. Jack it up put the front axle on jack stands and try to pick up on the tire while watching where circled above.

Thanks for starting this thread!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #28
Bowslayer
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yeah, after you posted that about yours I checked mine. The kingpins were tight. All ball joints were tight. The only play I found in mine was in the box and steering shaft. I will post back when I get the new parts installed as to if that cures it.
Bowslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #29
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardLeg View Post
Got both of the thrust bearings installed - install was fairly easy. Took about 80-90% of the "clunk" out of my steering - for $1.60 worth of washers!
nothing wrong with what you did... heck, I have even been known to install wave washers at the bottom end to take up some of the slack and get rid of the "clunk"
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #30
LizardLeg
New Cart Security System

E-Z-GO

Thanks!!

Just went for another ride with the wife and dog... I'm not looking forward to the cleanup tomorrow...

Didn't realize it until we got home - but the vine wrapped around the rear drivers axle trails behind me about 20' - with a tree limb on the other end.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo5.jpg (261.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo6.jpg (210.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg photo7.jpg (269.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg photo8.jpg (231.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg photo9.jpg (194.9 KB, 7 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO