lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #1
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default help adding aux battery to Precedent

So I finally decided on just adding an extra battery to power my radio and light kit. I've got the battery (35 amp/hr AGM sccoter type) and the light kit should be delivered next week. My question is this...I will be installing the battery in the center portion of the dash and will pull power off of it for the lights and stereo but I do not know how to splice the battery into the existing harness. I understand that the harness is designed to run off of the #4 battery blue wire but that means that the harness is already connected to a negative terminal somewhere. I need to figure out how to completely isolate the harness from the existing battery pack and then which wires are the negative and positive in the harness so that I can connect these to my aux battery. Can anyone help me out on this?
ramblin-wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: help adding aux battery to Precedent

Surely someone here know what I'm talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

give em time someone will have done this...........wake up precedent guys anyone able to this fellow out..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Just a thought...what about leaving the original harness in place, but disconnect it. Then run a new harness for your new battery?
Like I said, just a thought.
Steve
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #5
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
Just a thought...what about leaving the original harness in place, but disconnect it. Then run a new harness for your new battery?
Like I said, just a thought.
Steve
Thats what I may do. The front isn't an issue since I'll be adding the harness and can just splice in for the battery. The rear though, is an issue. I'm sure I can find the 12 volt ground at the wiring harness in the dash but I need to find where/how it connects to the battery pack so that I can disconnect it while keeping the wire intact for the tailights. I may wind up just pulling one wire from the rear harness to the dash for a ground if I can't find out anything else. Thanks again for all the help guys.
Old 08-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
give em time someone will have done this...........wake up precedent guys anyone able to this fellow out..............................
Thanks! I figured someone here knows what i'm talking about so hopefully they'll chime in.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am waiting on the answer for this myself. Just installed an auxiliary battery for radio and subwoofer and want to move the lights over to it as well. The front is pretty easy because I can trace back in the front harness to the 12v ground and just switch it. The rear is a little more complicated. If I have time this week I might dig into the harness and see what I can find out about the rear lights.

I hope somebody else has done this and can help.

Thanks in advance!
RI
rinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

If you look under the controller cover you'll find a fuse capped in black but with Blue wires. The main blue wire goes to your #4 Battery positive post. That's where I would hook my extra battery postitive post to, once removed from the #4 main battery post. Now for the ground leads... that's something you'll have to find in the main 12v harness to bypass back to your new 12 volt battery for a completely separate 12v circuit.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #9
ramblin-wreck
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
If you look under the controller cover you'll find a fuse capped in black but with Blue wires. The main blue wire goes to your #4 Battery positive post. That's where I would hook my extra battery postitive post to, once removed from the #4 main battery post. Now for the ground leads... that's something you'll have to find in the main 12v harness to bypass back to your new 12 volt battery for a completely separate 12v circuit.
Yeah the positive I'm not too worried about since I know where it is isolated (the blue wire) but the negative I'm still puzzled by. However SaltlifeCC helped me a bunch by way of TahoeDawg with finding the correct wire. However it looks like I'm going to have to run another wire from the battery level indicator (it shares the same common negative as the lights).
Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
rinman
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you say the battery level indicator are you referring to the orange battery light that comes on when you start to charge the battery?

So it shares the same ground as your front and rear lights? If so what wire in the harness is it?

With that being the case we could basically connect the blue wire to the aux battery positive and the ground wire that is in the harness attach to the aux battery negative. Then you would also need to run a separate ground to the battery level indicator from where???

Not trying to take over your post......just trying to understand so I can make the change as well.

Thanks!
RI
rinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car