lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
D0Z3R
Not Yet Wild

Default What Should I Start on First?

I have a stock series 05 EZGO txt.

I want to totally customize but I must do it in baby steps. Some of you guys might understand how my wife would react if I went out and spend a bunch of money :)

I'm not sure where to begin. I want to install a lift kit. Get bigger and better tires. New more powerful motor, controller, cables etc but like I said I must do this in steps and I'm not sure where to begin?

Do you guys think it will be okay to install a lift kit and bigger tires first?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
D0Z3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #2
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: What Should I Start on First?

Well, Well. It was only a year ago that I was in the same boat as you. I had to first solve a couple questions 1)"How quick do I need the cart back running and do I need it running while I do upgrades or not. 2) what performance am I looking for from the cart. (Frankly, I wanted mine to be able to climb a wall). When I decided I don't want to run the cart till everything was finished, I went down to the frame and started all over. In doing so, I found lots of corrosion problems that would of caused problems down the road. And after spending $$$$ on upgrades and finding a hidden corrosion problem just doesn't get me excited. So my thought and for the long life of the cart you learn a lot about your cart when you go down to the frame. The lift kit can be added at that time. You need to contact Scottyb and discuss your motor and power needs. Let him help you engineer the electronics as you may want to do something there while you have the thing apart. Anything else is easy enough to do at any time.
Checkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I started out with my used cart, by cleaning and learning. Then I upgraded the motor thru Plum Quick. Added tires and wheels and 4" lift kit. Replaced all the battery and motor cables with 4ga. Blew the speed controller (because of the lift/tire upgrades). Replaced the speed controller with an Alltrax DCX 400. Added lights, dash, stereo. Replaced the 6 - 6volt batteries with 6 - 8v batteries.

If I had it to do all over again, I would start with the motor, then the controller. After that I would do the lift and tires and wheels. Along the way you can do things like the dash kit, seat covers, etc.. The big ticket items are the controller, lift kit & tires and wheels, and eventually batteries.

Good luck and post lots of pictures.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is a plan of attack for anybody wanting to upgrade in steps. The cart is usable at any phase here:

Step1. Cable upgrade to
4 or 2 gauge depending upon what size controller and motor you plan to run.

Step2. F&R switch upgrade. Choose a HD switch cam or complete HD F&R unit

Step 3. Controller & solenoid upgrade

Step 4. Lift kit and bigger tires

Step 5. Bigger motor that will draw more amperage using the electronic upgrades already in place
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sometimes the information exchanged in my PM box is so good it needs to be posted on the board so others can benefit from or add to the discussion

So If I decide to go with 2 gauge cables that should kinda future proof my cart correct? No downsides to choosing 2gauge over 4gauge?
There is no disadvantage to having the bigger cable, there is a disadvantage to having too small of a cable. It is generally agreed that 2g is needed for controller 500 amps and up.
Whats the difference between an HD switch cam or a complete F&R unit? Will this turn my front and reverse lever into a toggle switch?[/QUOTE]
A toggle F&R can be done by converting to a reversing contactor to replace the current rotary directional selector... The HD switch cam is a development of mine which basically improves the amperage handling capacity of rotary switch, this is good enough for 75% of all upgraded Ezgos, the other 25% need a complete switch replacement due excessive wear/ damage.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
D0Z3R
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Scottyb for all your help on this!
D0Z3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Here is a plan of attack for anybody wanting to upgrade in steps. The cart is usable at any phase here:

Step1. Cable upgrade to
4 or 2 gauge depending upon what size controller and motor you plan to run.

Step2. F&R switch upgrade. Choose a HD switch cam or complete HD F&R unit

Step 3. Controller & solenoid upgrade

Step 4. Lift kit and bigger tires

Step 5. Bigger motor that will draw more amperage using the electronic upgrades already in place
That post alone should be a sticky topic for everyone...
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO