lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #1
WIN.308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2002 EZ GO electric-seems sluggish

Just got a 2002 with a 4 inch lift, 22 inch tires. It was well taken care of by the previous owner, but the batteries, although in good shape are 5 yrs old. I dont believe there have been any other mods made to the elec. system or anything else. It has the F/R switch down by my right leg, has no toggle switch under the seat, has (6) 6-volt batteries, Has this # inside passenger glove box: A102
1452186. I fully charged it last nite, took off w/ my GPS and top speed of 15mph. Seems like it struggled going up a somewhat steep road, that was dissapointing, I have read many of the posts in here, but I am limited in understanding the electrical things like controllers, solenoids, etc. My questions/concerns: 1) If the batteries are fully charged but weak, will that affect speed and going up steep trails, etc. 2) Should I try a new controller and or solenoid without a new motor, and what can I expect with that? 3) Do you guys with the hopped up carts still have trouble when going up hills or into the wind? Maybe I am simply expecting too much. 4) If you recommend a new motor and controller, what size, what type controller, etc. 5) If you recommend new batteries-should I keep the 36V configuration? THANKS
WIN.308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
WIN.308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 EZ GO electric-seems sluggish

By the way, Ive got a little cash to throw at this deal and I will certainly patronize the sponsors here, I really enjoy the site.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Slowing on a hill is the nature of the of an electric vehicle. As the load increases the rpms will decrease unless you have a monster (10hp+) torque motor which will, by its nature, reduce your top speed. There is always a trade off between speed and torque.... the more of one you gain, the more of the other you loose.

15mph is a respectable top speed for a modern stock cart. 25mph is zooming fast & on the border of needing a brake & suspension upgrades actually. You can definitely improve it's performance....don't expect miracles.

I have a little series ezgo that is going 25 on the flats and 20 up a steep dirt road.... that seems fast.

Controller packages will give you more torque but not more speed. More torque can turn taller tires which gives more speed. And aftermarket motors can turn higher RPMs for more speed , and you can increase voltage for more speed and torque

Hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
WIN.308
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks much Scotty for your reply- What motor/controller/etc. configuration do you recommend, or who should I call, and does changing to a 48v system do anything, is it necessary if I get a bigger motor, etc. Ive got 22 inch tires, plan on going to 23. I guess-what would you do if you had 1500 to throw at this deal?
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I convert to 48v, that will gain you 30% more speed and torque.
You can do that by adding 2 more 6v in the bagwell or get 6/8v = 48v
Then I would get a new charger, a 500 amp controller pkg, 2g cables, and aftermarket motor
That is what I did to my series cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
ColbyKiller
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIN.308 View Post
...what would you do if you had 1500 to throw at this deal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I convert to 48v, that will gain you 30% more speed and torque.
You can do that by adding 2 more 6v in the bagwell or get 6/8v = 48v
Then I would get a new charger, a 500 amp controller pkg, 2g cables, and aftermarket motor
That is what I did to my series cart.
All this for $1,500?
ColbyKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO