lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
rusticrick
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1976 resistor cart

I have a 1976 resistor cart with new batteries, it wont move at all,
I read 36 volts at the motor terminals, when accelerator pedal is depressed,
but no motion ,
so how do I remove the motor there are no bolts visible ,

do I disassemble the motor in place?

there are some photos in my album that show the motor and axle
rusticrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1976 resistor cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticrick View Post
...........there are some photos in my album that show the motor and axle
One typically gets more timely replies when pictures referred to are embedded in or attached to post, so I thought I'd help you out and attach it to mine.

I can't help much with mechanical questions on your 3-wheeler (x-440 ?), but I can with electrical stuff. Here's are a Schematic and a Wiring Diagram that ought to match your cart.

You say you get 36V at the motor terminals. Which terminals and were is Negative test lead attached?

Before digging into the motor, I'd check it with an Ohmmeter.
Disconnect one of the Stator cables (two on top center-line of motor) and one of the Armature cables (Two at end of motor).
Use a wrench to hold bottom nut in place or post will turn, messing up wiring inside motor!!!
You should get continuity (only a few Ohms) between A1 & A2 and between S1 & S2 (Might be marked F1 & F2)
If not, you've got some problems inside motor, otherwise check out the rest of the power circuit.

Also, if you are only reading 36V, your new batteries aren't charged. You should read at least 38.2V
New batteries ought to be fully charged before first use and then they have to be broken-in properly to obtain maximum storage capacity. (They only have about 75% capacity until "Matured")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user47030_pic11335_1316061817.jpg (36.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Schematic.JPG (87.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Resistor cart - Wiring Diagram.JPG (89.3 KB, 16 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Removing the motor seems like an obvious thing to check? but I would start with the smaller parts, is the solenoid clicking when you try to go?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
rusticrick
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for your reply

I said 36 v but I meant full volt charge the actual reading is 38.5v
I removed the motor wires and read ,
.4 ohm F1-F2 and open circuit A1-A2
so maybe bad brushes or broken lead ?
[/SIZE]

One typically gets more timely replies when pictures referred to are embedded in or attached to post, so I thought I'd help you out and attach it to mine.

when I posted it wouldn't let me attach anything but now it will ??

I can't help much with mechanical questions on your 3-wheeler (x-440 ?), but I can with electrical stuff. Here's are a Schematic and a Wiring Diagram that ought to match your cart.

You say you get 36V at the motor terminals. Which terminals and were is Negative test lead attached?

Before digging into the motor, I'd check it with an Ohmmeter.
Disconnect one of the Stator cables (two on top center-line of motor) and one of the Armature cables (Two at end of motor).
Use a wrench to hold bottom nut in place or post will turn, messing up wiring inside motor!!!
You should get continuity (only a few Ohms) between A1 & A2 and between S1 & S2 (Might be marked F1 & F2)
If not, you've got some problems inside motor, otherwise check out the rest of the power circuit.

Also, if you are only reading 36V, your new batteries aren't charged. You should read at least 38.2V
New batteries ought to be fully charged before first use and then they have to be broken-in properly to obtain maximum storage capacity. (They only have about 75% capacity until "Matured")[/QUOTE]
Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 AM   #5
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

To remove the motor from your cart is not a dificult task at all.
After removing all the wires (mark them so you get them back on in the correct position) there are two long blots that hold the motor together. The housing is three pieces, the rear plate (where you will see the two bolt heads) the center section for the filed windings and the front plate that is actuall bolted to the differiential housing from the inside. The armature will be sticking out of the front plate, just pull it off the pinion shaft and set it aside. Then you will see four boltheads that hold the front plate to the differiential housing.

I have found it easier to remove the rearend completely from the cart to tear down and espically reassembly the motor. This thing is not light by now means so the more room you have around you and it to work the easier it will seam. If you look at my thread and scan thru the pics you will come to where I had to tear my motor down to replace the studs in it. Thanks to Dave I was able to repair it and it is still running to this day.

Towards the end of my thread you will see the motor painted and polished and you will be able to see the three pieces better.

Goodluck and keep us posted as to what you do and post pics of the process as well.
Rodger's Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
rusticrick
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I disassembled the motor as you said and found burned up wire lead on the one brush,(in photo on bottom side), so I am looking for a rebuilt motor or a brush set , my usual motor man says he can't get parts for those, am looking, I googled my model # and found luna in AZ.

http://www.lunaindustriesinc.com

they show parts or rebuilt motor availability but are closed till Jan 4 2012

To remove the motor from your cart is not a dificult task at all.
After removing all the wires (mark them so you get them back on in the correct position) there are two long blots that hold the motor together. The housing is three pieces, the rear plate (where you will see the two bolt heads) the center section for the filed windings and the front plate that is actuall bolted to the differiential housing from the inside. The armature will be sticking out of the front plate, just pull it off the pinion shaft and set it aside. Then you will see four boltheads that hold the front plate to the differiential housing.

I have found it easier to remove the rearend completely from the cart to tear down and espically reassembly the motor. This thing is not light by now means so the more room you have around you and it to work the easier it will seam. If you look at my thread and scan thru the pics you will come to where I had to tear my motor down to replace the studs in it. Thanks to Dave I was able to repair it and it is still running to this day.

Towards the end of my thread you will see the motor painted and polished and you will be able to see the three pieces better.

Goodluck and keep us posted as to what you do and post pics of the process as well.[/quote]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golfcar motor 002.jpg (200.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #7
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

Get ahold of smallblock450sl he can get the brushes you need. He got me mine. And check with site sponsers as well. They should be able to get them also.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
rusticrick
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1978 resistor cart

I think I was wrong and it is a 1978 but there was no change between those years
I went to a local motor shop and he ordered brush holder+brushes+wire harness,from a forklift co in st.Louis ,Mo.
so today I went to the lathe and worked over my commutator
see pictures
I have always thought the armature is one of the most elegantly designed pieces of machinery, it looks like some sculpture I might see at a museum!
but then I am an award winning sculptor,working mostly in monumental iron
http://rusticricksculpture.tripod.com/
the parts may be here tomorrow , just hope I can get it back together !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger's Rides View Post
Get ahold of smallblock450sl he can get the brushes you need. He got me mine. And check with site sponsers as well. They should be able to get them also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg armature 017.jpg (273.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg armature 010.jpg (146.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg armature 020.jpg (138.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Rodger's Rides
Totally Bonkers!

Mixed Breed

ST. Louis? Heck fire I used to live in St. Charles. Too many years ago but then I don't miss the hard winters.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
rusticrick
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Here's are a Schematic and a Wiring Diagram that ought to match your cart.
Thanks for this schematic , on this I have the question ,
what is the buzzer ? and what is it for ?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO