lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-12-2012, 12:58 AM   #21
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 96 will not run

From what I've read here in the forum, heavier cables will increase torque (amount will depend on how bad the old cables were and how big the new cables are), and probably shorten run time just a little bit due to ability to pull more current from the batteries. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2012, 12:59 AM   #22
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
From what I've read here in the forum, heavier cables will increase torque (amount will depend on how bad the old cables were and how big the new cables are), and probably shorten run time just a little bit due to ability to pull more current from the batteries. - RAY
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.gooding View Post
hey guys, thanks for all the help, I have it fixed, was the throttle sensor,new question though if you don't mind? how much difference will heavy duty cables make on power and length of run time, can I use one ought copper cable and make my own ?
Glad to hear you got it going.

Ray is right about the gains with new cables depending on how bad the old cables were.
However, and this is a very subtle technical distinction, you don't actually gain anything, you recover what is being lost by undersized or defective cables.
In other words, you are being denied the performance level that already exists because of bottle-necks in the high current circuit.

Attached is a generic drawing of the high current circuit in a series cart. Trace from "+" at the top of the battery to the "-" at the bottom and you'll see that the current flows through a single path.
Any Cable, connection, contact or component that drops any voltage is stealing power from the motor!!!

Making you own high current cables out of 0Ga cable is probably overkill, unless your planning to install a 1,500A controller.
In general terms, 4Ga is adequate for controllers 500A and less; And 2Ga for 500A and up.

Also, readily available 0Ga cable is most likely the electrical distribution type and is too stiff to be used in a golf cart and the insulation probable isn't suitable for use in an acid laden atmosphere.
Welding cable with a very high strand count (IE: 600 for 2Ga) and Neoprene insulation is best.
Use lugs that don't expose the raw end of the copper wire and make an airtight seal between the lug and insulation.
Or buy a set from somebody that builds the commercially like I did.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter..._Upgrades.html
Check out the pictures of the cables near the bottom of webpage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hi Current Circuit - Series Motor - EDITED.JPG (63.6 KB, 4 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO