lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Do I need a voltage reducer guys?

More info for the discussion

The small 12v batteries found for accessories are actually starting or cranking amp batteries. As you know their construction is different from a deep cycle battery. Their plates are thinner so they can give up their amperage quickly as needed to turn a starter motor. They are designed to be recharged immediately after use (when the motor starts). Deep discharge and letting this type of battery sit below 100% charge will shorten it's useful life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

I replaced only one battery in my 4 pack of 12 volts, and that is because I didn't have a reducer at that time. My batteries, with the exception of the one I replaced, are over 4 years old.

I would highly suggest that you get a reducer that pulls off ALL your batteries and don't try and Mickey Mouse your charging setup. Most likely you will not charge the one that is pulled down more then the others and eventually have problems with your pack. By the way, get the Mack Daddy reducer the first time around... More is Better! LOL
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #13
dece1416
Not Yet Wild

Done deal. Thats what i'm going to do too! I may add a stereo, so should probably get the new battery anyway. Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten View Post
You may "get away" with it, but I don't think you'll be happy with it. I went to Walmart and got a Deep Cycle from the automotive department. The last one, I used for 4 years. 90.00 for four years is not bad in my book.

I put it in the blank space under the driver side. I've got everything from horn to headlights hooked to it. I also use a trickle style batter charger on it to charge and maintain it when it's sitting in the carport.
dece1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
dece1416
Not Yet Wild

Thanks bud! I may go with a separate 12 volt battery. I just need to workout the placement of it. Appreciate all the feed back guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
I replaced only one battery in my 4 pack of 12 volts, and that is because I didn't have a reducer at that time. My batteries, with the exception of the one I replaced, are over 4 years old.

I would highly suggest that you get a reducer that pulls off ALL your batteries and don't try and Mickey Mouse your charging setup. Most likely you will not charge the one that is pulled down more then the others and eventually have problems with your pack. By the way, get the Mack Daddy reducer the first time around... More is Better! LOL
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
dece1416
Not Yet Wild

Steve. Where can i buy Scotty b's converter??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec3201 View Post
If you are only using the lights for a short period of time, nothing bad is gonna happen to your batteries anytime soon. People run lights on Precedents with 4 12 volt batteries all the time. However, with that said: I would plan on getting a decent converter with a switch (Scotty's is very nice) as soon as you have the time and energy to install it as the longer you wait, the more damage you are gonna inflict on your pack. Plus, a converter is good for other options down the road, like a stereo, 12v acc outlet, whatever...Good luck! BTW, I have a converter and love it!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #16
dece1416
Not Yet Wild

Nevermind just saw scotty b's huge advertisement. haha.. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dece1416 View Post
Steve. Where can i buy Scotty b's converter??
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #17
hunt22j
Not Yet Wild

What about those of us who have a 48 volt cart (6-8 volts)? It appears the reducer is the only way to go. The space seems to limited for another battery.
hunt22j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
dece1416
Not Yet Wild

I have no idea how to hook up my lights now. I've decided on buying an deep cycle aux battery and mounting in the front dash by cutting out the tray. But have no idea on how to wire it.. I guess I will have to use part of the bucket harness and run other wires from scratch.
Any of you guys have an easy way to make this functional? Some of the threads about this are way over my head.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #19
dece1416
Not Yet Wild

Heres the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (8).JPG (126.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #20
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dece1416 View Post
I have no idea how to hook up my lights now. I've decided on buying an deep cycle aux battery and mounting in the front dash by cutting out the tray. But have no idea on how to wire it.. I guess I will have to use part of the bucket harness and run other wires from scratch.
Any of you guys have an easy way to make this functional? Some of the threads about this are way over my head.

. . . it is not a daunting task, but if you feel overwhelmed, maybe you should have someone do it for you . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car