lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
essjjsp2003
Not Yet Wild

Default Daily problems with power outages

Hi all,
Excuse me for my English, my name is Jose, and I'm from Spain. I would like to know if any of you had this happen and if there is any solution.
Every day, I have micro power cuts at home, and then the charger (powerdrive models 20310-11) is locked and I have to remove the charger cord from the buggie and reconnect it again, then the charger working again. The problem is when it happens one of these micro cuts at night and then the car is unloaded. is there any way to remove this blockade to the charger.
thanks in advance
essjjsp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
shaffer88
Gone Wild

Does the battery pack ever get fully charged
shaffer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
essjjsp2003
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Daily problems with power outages

no,I have to look for it every time when outages
Old 08-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Is this a late model cart? 2011-2012 Precedent? Do you have the charger manual? If not there is a link to one in the stickies above (third from the bottom). This manual is for the American version but the European should be similar in operation. Most modern chargers will resume operation after a power outage although I don't know about club car specifically.

A couple of things stood out for me when reading the manual.
1- if you disconnect the charger at the cart receptacle you have to wait 20 seconds before you plug it back in.
2- On IQ and Excel systems the charger will shut off at 1 hour and again at 2 hours for a diagnostic. If you were watching it this could look like a power outage I suppose.
3- If there was a problem during charging the battery light on the dash should flash.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
crash test dummy

are you saying ''outages" are with the power to your home or just to the charger ?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
essjjsp2003
Not Yet Wild

Hi, Thanks for the answer.

For Kernal,

The model is 2008 precedent (older charger), I already downloaded the manual but it didnīt say anything about it.

For crash, the outage is at home electricity.

uff, I am desperate with it.....
Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #7
essjjsp2003
Not Yet Wild

Sorry the model is 2010 year.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is not a real good economical solution....
The DC plug needs to be removed for more than 20 seconds for the OBC to allow the charger to operate again. Since your brown-outs are likely very fast, that is a problem.
1) You can add a time delayed power strip or surge protector to the charger's power plug, something like this but with the proper voltage and plugs for Spain:
http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Surge-Protector-Refrigerators-Freezers/dp/B008OCHYO6 http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Surge-Protector-Refrigerators-Freezers/dp/B008OCHYO6
The catch is that if the brown-out occurs after the batteries are fully charged and the OBC has not detected that cart has moved, it will start an equalization cycle. That is a good thing to do once a quarter, but not daily, as it can wear the plates out and generate a lot of gassing.
2) Another solution would be to get an UPS large enough to handle the charger load, that would work well but the UPS will be expensive.
3) Get a new charger that does not depend on the OBC. Since after market chargers don't have the benefit of knowing how much charge is needed to replace what has been drained from the battery, they typically run thru pre defined programs and should run again every time there is a brow-out. The amount of wear on the batteries resulting from continuous over charging will depend on the specific charger's sensing capabilities.
I would personally go with #1 and just unplug the charger every morning after a night of charging.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Costly, but you could get an inverter generator. Sounds like one may come in hand with those power problems
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car