lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
clayscoach
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 99 48v regen will not run

I have a 1999 48v regen (I / II ??) with the multistep potentiomenter. It started with the buggy would run until you stopped then it would not go again for a while after a day of this it quit completely. I have checked the fwr/rev switch, the run/tow switch the microswitch in the multistep potenometer and the key switch all good. and replaced both solenoids. neither of the solenoids pick up. Batteries have full charge. Ther is no reverse buzzer in reverse. no OBC light. Tried jumpering the right solenoid and drew an arc. what do I do next. Thanks in advance
clayscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 99 48v regen will not run

If you have run/tow and you know its a Regen, then its Regen 2. The only time my (Regen 1) cart ever became that "quiet" it was a failed controller, but you need to search this forum for tests that will confirm that 'cause they aren't cheap to replace! I haven't looked, but I assume the test process for your Regen 2 controller is in here somewhere. The warning I got when my controller was starting to fail (before everything went silent) was that occasionally for about a week when I would lift off the accelerator at cruising speed, the regen braking was extreme - not gentle - and would almost heave you forward in the seat. BUT MY REGEN 1 CONTROLLER IS VERY DIFFERENT THAN YOURS so that might never have happened to you.

It might also be possible that the potentiometer is a problem, but that shouldn't eliminate your backup buzzer. If that's silent - I'd look to the controller first.

Edit: Oh - there is one thing - the OBC has a wire that disables the controller when its plugged in (charging) so you can't drive off towing your charger down the road - so you should check that first. It can be bypassed (that's in here somewhere too).
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
clayscoach
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Everything I have found about bypassing the obc says something about the yellow wire on the main solenoids coil. My main solenoid coil has a blue wire on one terminal and a blue/white wire on the other. One thread that mention this the response was there is no way to bypass the OBC for this arrangement. Is this the case or has someone figured out how to bypass it and if so please share the information.

If I need a controller can someone recommened one that will drop into place.The one I have has a multipin connector on the left with 2 terminals labeled B+ and B- on the right side there are 4 terminals A1, A2, F1, & F2 the buggy has a stock 3.2 HP motor and it is a lifted cart.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:16 AM   #4
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

Does the controller look like this,:

this,:

or this:
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #5
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCFanatic View Post
Does the controller look like this,:

or this:
. . . his description fits the last picture . . . a Regen 2 controller . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
clayscoach
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

yes its the silver one
Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK - here's an article on how to JUMP THE SOLENOID in case a bad OBC is disabling your controller. Also look thru the stickies and see if you can find a wiring diagram for your Regen 2 - which will help with troubleshooting.

Since you replaced both solenoids I'm assuming they are not the cause, directly.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #8
clayscoach
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I put the cart back on charge and the charger does shut off on its own. replaced both solendoids again. Found the right solenoid is getting power and does close. it however does not drop out after 30 seconds. I read somewhere it is suppose to. There is 51 volts going to the controller B+/B- and both A leads to the motor have +49 volts on them. The reverse horn worked once now it does not work again. Buggy still does not go and the regen breaking when pushed does not work. A friend suggested it may be the speed sensor (hall effect sensor on this buggy) open to ideas on what to do now.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #9
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Your mixing up information from different cart technologies - even Regen 1 & 2 are different - so I'll try to help you eliminate some assumptions.

1) My older Regen 1 has a timeout circuit on the solenoid - so it will click a second time, but Regen 2 (your cart) only clicks once when you turn the key (because you have a run/tow switch).

2) Pushing the cart and listening for the pedal-up beep only happens on more modern (IQ and above) carts - not on our older Regens. So you can't test the speed sensor that way.

3) Speed sensors on Regen 1 and 2 can be totally failed and the cart still runs - it just doesn't brake when you lift off the pedal. In fact many people with Regens unplug the sensor so they can go faster - but the speed difference when you unplug is minimal and typically only shows up going downhill.

4) Your second solenoid (I think) only activates on pedal down - not with the turn of a key (I'm not really sure of this, but I think thats how mine works) - I do know that the second solenoid activates the Regen braking circuit and a resistor associated with braking - it "may" not affect whether your cart drives or not.

5)
Quote:
reverse horn worked once now it does not work again
Do you mean after you took it off charge the reverse buzzer worked but a few minutes later it didn't? If so, that points to either a bad switch or loose connection either at the key switch, or between the key and the controller, or at the reverse rocker switch.

If you haven't (can't recall everything you've tried) tip the dashboard out (disconnect battery first) and inspect the key connections to make sure the switch closes the circuit when you turn the key. Did you download your circuit diagram and print it so you can follow your circuits? I know there's a Regen 2 diagram HERE - it should look like yours.

6) Lastly if none of the checking switches and connections works, you will need to run tests on your controller. Although I did tests on mine and determined its failure (based on the steps from the maintenance manual I have for mine) my controller is way different than yours - so someone else will have to assist you in the proper steps for testing your particular controller.

Edit: One last thing - I think (but I don't have one so I can't say for sure) a failed run/tow switch can essentially disable your entire cart - I have heard of that before.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car