lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Headlights suddenly out. Is this the problem?

Hey guys,
My headlights and tail lights both went out suddenly the other day and I assumed it was either a fuse or a wire came ungrounded. I have a 94 club car DS that I converted to 48 volts. I followed a wire from the switch to this black box posted below. I don't want to take the box apart if it's not anything. Can anyone tell me what this box is and if there is a wire grounded or fuse to headlights in there typically? thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg box.jpg (57.8 KB, 0 views)
Sumner121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Headlights suddenly out. Is this the problem?

took the case off and there was a series of fuses underneath. I had to replace one and everything's working smooth again.
Old 05-18-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
crash test dummy

yes for awhile ... you took a factory 12v system and bumped it to 16v most lights will take the extra volts .. but blowing the fuse says that to much power is being used ..i would do a 48v to 12v reducer
Old 05-19-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

Yeah, I was holding out to see if it was gonna happen again anytime soon. I'm getting about 15.7 volts to the lights. I'm thinking 15.7 volts to the lights is definitely stretching the limits but for the amount of time that I use headlights (rarely for about 15 minutes at a time) I should be okay. If it happens again I'm definitely going to do the reducer and do things the right way. However when the fuse blew I theorize It was because I had the lights on testing one out while the cart was charging. I think my pack was around 58 volts while the lights were on and lights were getting way too much voltage (approx 19.3 volts to the lights) via pack charger that caused this initial blow. Does that seem possible?
Old 05-19-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
crash test dummy

yep ... sound right ... its the high amps thats blowing the fuse to keep the lights from burning up
Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

Scratch what I said it was totally wrong
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
pcvst.tech
Getting Wild

Mixed Breed

I just remedied a similar problem, no headlights caused by total corrosion in that little fuse box, which I might add is the stupidest choice of both fuse panel, and location I have ever seen in such an application in my opinion. The cart I just repaired is only like 10 months old, and the whole panel was jammed full of dirt. Who was the engineer who figured that this open backed, totally unprotected fuse block would be a fine choice mounted 4" off the ground in such a way that puddle splash sends debris right into the block?
pcvst.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvst.tech View Post
Who was the engineer who figured that this open backed, totally unprotected fuse block would be a fine choice mounted 4" off the ground in such a way that puddle splash sends debris right into the block?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #9
Sumner121
Getting Wild
Club Car

for being a 94 and knowing the box hasn't been touched in atleast the year I've owned it, it was surprisingly clean. the threads for the nuts to secure the enclosure weren't so lucky..rusty rusty rusty... I'll have to replace them as soon as I get done with everything else on the golf cart TO DO list.
as far as crash test dummy is concerned Kudos for the picture upload
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car