lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
87chevy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Upgrade My 2000 Cart or build a Precedent???

Hey all,
I am stuck on what to do. I currently have a 200 Club car Ds with a 6" jakes lift, 22" tires, Four seater, extended roof, custom paint, new batteries and a few other add ons. My issue is that the cart is quite slow going up hills, it goes about the speed in which I can jog next to it. I am looking at a few options of upgrades to make this one faster but not sure if it is worth putting the money into the 17 year old cart. Then the other option is to buy a 2012 club car precedent with 2012 batteries all stock in the Cheyenne color, and build this one the way I like it to look. The question is will the Precedent perform better up hills than my upgraded DS or what should I do? I have added the prices and options I am thinking I will need for each cart, Please look it over and let me know what you think I should do. Thanks for all the help everyone!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 4.36.29 PM.png (197.9 KB, 0 views)
87chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade My 2000 Cart or build a Precedent???

H'mm... hundreds vs thousands would make the decision for most people. How are you going to use your cart for....street, off-road, people hauler? With Option 1 the DS will probably outperform the Precedent if its stock. Option 2 may warrant an upgraded motor and cables to yield the most performance. Option 3... the newer Precedent may not pull the hills faster than jogging speed unless upgrades are considered like you listed for the DS. I have a 2000 model DS cause I bought it in budget and I'm transforming it over time to suit my needs. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in. GOOD LUCK!
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:36 PM   #3
Night life
Gone Wild

Club Car

What your math doesn't take into account is the value of your old cart. You should be able to sell that and recoup some money.

Either way, both carts will need a high torque motor and upgrades controller/wires in order to perform up a hill.

Good luck!
Night life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
87chevy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yeah thats kind of the thinking that I was going with! My issue is if my cart is worth throwing money into or would it be better to buy a new one. My cart does have the upgraded wires already so thats a plus and if I were to but the new cart I would of course sell mine to pay for most of the new one.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I would keep the DS, for it maybe older but it is a 10 spline series cart . you can make one heck of a work horse out of it . more speed and torque that will fill your needs. Plus I like the look of the DS (reminds me of a 4 door box chevy) over the more rounded Precedent .

the real choice DS option #3 , same as DS option #2 but added a Plumquick or D&D motor and 2ga cable
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Aflyer
Gone Wild

Club Car

87chevy,
I am doing the whole controller, motor, cables upgrade thing to my 2013 Precedent this week. Actually about 1/2 done with the install.

I also have a 2006 DS, and I actually like driving it better. It feels wider, and longer, I think it rides just as good. And as somebody already said, it is better looking than the Precedent.

Good luck with your decision, my vote is to power up the DS!!
Aflyer
Aflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #7
87chevy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I would keep the DS, for it maybe older but it is a 10 spline series cart . you can make one heck of a work horse out of it . more speed and torque that will fill your needs. Plus I like the look of the DS (reminds me of a 4 door box chevy) over the more rounded Precedent .

the real choice DS option #3 , same as DS option #2 but added a Plumquick or D&D motor and 2ga cable
Yeah I really like the look of my car so changing it to the new cart is deff a tough choice! So If i keep my car should I do just the 500amp controller upgrades and leave my stock motor or should I do the 400 amp controller and replace my motor with maybe a plum quick? Whats your guys opinions on that? I can't do the 500 amp controller upgrades and a new motor right now so I kind of have to pick and choose lol
Old 02-12-2017, 08:19 PM   #8
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

If you are going so far as to replace the controller, I'd just go all in and do the Plum Quick as well....
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #9
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I might have been nuts, [enter comment here], but I "resto-modded" an 81! The only thing left 81 is the body and frame. A 2000?? That's a brand new cart for me. As long as your cart is solid, make her go. From what I observed here and please correct me if I'm wrong, but the DS was a better built cart from the factory in many ways. No plastic, grease fittings where they should be [something the aftermarket "forgot"] and lots of room for aftermarket controllers ect. Also it seems from reading threads here, most problems start with or end with this OBC thing that would appear to cause more headaches than it solves. Just my observations since joining here.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #10
87chevy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
If you are going so far as to replace the controller, I'd just go all in and do the Plum Quick as well....
I agree bit I cannot afford to do the 500 amp controller and everything and then pay for the plum quick on top of that right now.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car