lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #1
benjowhite
Not Yet Wild

Default Random Brake lights

Recently purchased a 2015 RXV. There cart has new batteries and upgraded light kit with turn signals, horn, etc. The issue I have noticed is that randomly the brake lights will come in for about 10-15 seconds the turn back off. This happens when the cart is off (with or without the charger plugged it).
Since I am a new owner I’m not sure if this is normal or not. I did not install the light kit so I wonder if something is not wired right. Any help is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
benjowhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2019, 12:51 PM   #2
benjowhite
Not Yet Wild

Default Random Brake lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjowhite View Post
Recently purchased a 2015 RXV. There cart has new batteries and upgraded light kit with turn signals, horn, etc. The issue I have noticed is that randomly the brake lights will come in for about 10-15 seconds the turn back off. This happens when the cart is off (with or without the charger plugged it).
Since I am a new owner I’m not sure if this is normal or not. I did not install the light kit so I wonder if something is not wired right. Any help is appreciated.

For anyone who is wondering. This issue was solved by replacing the brake switch.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Random Brake lights

Hmm, doesn't help too much. There are many different light kits available for rxv. The factory EZGO light kit doesn't even use a brake light switch at the pedal. I'm glad they didn't, the factory setup never fails, and it is one way to easily distinguish the factory setup from all the rest.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Probably the kind where you screw in one of those garbage 'brake pads' to the brake pedal that connects to the light kit harness via a couple of bullet connectors. Bad at failing closed.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
benjowhite
Not Yet Wild

Just seeing these replies. The light kit is aftermarket but does not use the brake pad method as mentioned above. Here is a photo of the part that failed. Replaced under warranty from the shop that sold me the cart. All good now.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:47 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

That method of activating brake lights is NOT what the RXV uses or should ever use...

Since the braking of an RXV is regenerative ONLY, the controller is what determines is braking, not the brake pedal. Only the controller can activate the brake lights when you let off of the throttle pedal and the cart begins slowing to a stop, without touching the brake pedal. A brake light relay underneath the cover over the cupholder is what is required, if you do not have one.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
benjowhite
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
That method of activating brake lights is NOT what the RXV uses or should ever use...

Since the braking of an RXV is regenerative ONLY, the controller is what determines is braking, not the brake pedal. Only the controller can activate the brake lights when you let off of the throttle pedal and the cart begins slowing to a stop, without touching the brake pedal. A brake light relay underneath the cover over the cupholder is what is required, if you do not have one.

Thanks Bob! I am still new to all of this and learning a ton from this forum. I will do some searching for the relay you mentioned above so the cart brake lights operate properly.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO