lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
bccomstock
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 EZGO rear end noise

New golf cart owner here. Trying to restore / update a 2006 EZGO TXT bought from a neighbor.

Background on what I've done so far:

The tires were in bad shape, so I replaced them with some 12" Kraken 215/40 low profile tires.

Got it charged and started driving it. Shortly after making a couple laps in our small neighborhood, I heard a loud noise from the rear end. It sounded like a belt coming loose, but from what I can tell, there aren't any belts in the drive system.

Now, when the cart is moving, there's a clicking noise coming the rear end, and it feels like it's not accelerating as fast as it should be.

Any ideas? Thanks!
bccomstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2019, 05:35 AM   #2
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2006 EZGO rear end noise

It sounds like you might have a stripped hub. My cart did the same thing. Pull the wheels and check the hubs. That's the usual weak spot. Re torque the hubs to 100-110 ft/pounds. I was a first time owner and didn't tighten mine enough . Cost me another hub.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:33 AM   #3
bccomstock
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubles Shooter View Post
It sounds like you might have a stripped hub. My cart did the same thing. Pull the wheels and check the hubs. That's the usual weak spot. Re torque the hubs to 100-110 ft/pounds. I was a first time owner and didn't tighten mine enough . Cost me another hub.
Thank you!

So when you say the hub, is that just considered part 72 in the attached diagram? Or is it the entire diagram?

From what I've read while looking into this issue, people tend to have trouble with the castle nut. Did you have any issues with it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191019-093050_Google PDF Viewer.jpg (183.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

72 is the hub. Would make a grinding sound. If you jack up the rear and remove the rear wheels. Hold the brake and hit the go pedal at the same time. Look to see if one of the castle nuts is spinning. If yes, bad hub.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
bccomstock
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
72 is the hub. Would make a grinding sound. If you jack up the rear and remove the rear wheels. Hold the brake and hit the go pedal at the same time. Look to see if one of the castle nuts is spinning. If yes, bad hub.
OK, thanks! I'll try that.

This is what it sounds like (can't post a clickable link as of yet):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13NpHWMD7xkX0g-o5tlNjBdKbNClA89Pr/view
Old 10-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
bccomstock
Not Yet Wild

So I got the rear end up, wheels off and did what you said. I didn't see only the castle nut spinning. The entire hub and the nut were spinning. Should only the castle nut spin if the hub is stripped? Could it be partially stripped?
Old 10-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

If both were spinning I doubt it is a hub. Pull the motor cover and put a yardstick against different spots on the motor with the other end against your ear. Could be a stuck brush.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
bccomstock
Not Yet Wild

So my son was just driving it and had the pedal mashed (even though I've said we need to be careful with it ��) and it made the loud noise again. Seemed like the motor whined quite a bit beforehand. I'm guessing it's something with the motor.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #9
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

its possible you could have a motor bearing going out.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
bccomstock
Not Yet Wild

This is probably getting beyond my skill level. I'm going to try to talk to one of the mechanics at the course near my house. Thanks for all the tips!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO