lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-21-2020, 02:39 PM   #11
diver6
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery draw trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
1. Most golf cart battery chargers stop charging once the charge cycle ends and don't restart until it is unplugged from the cart and plugged back in, so if the charger stays plugged into the cart all week, the batteries are self discharging for all the days that follow. Cart batteries typically self discharge at about 1% SoC per day, so you start the weekend at the campsite with a partially discharged battery pack. What is the make and model of the charger?

2. PDS carts typically draw an average of about 75A, so you only have about 105 minutes of runtime, or 1.75 hours of actual cart movement.

3. Maybe not.

4. T-605 batteries are the economy grade and only have 210AH while the standard grade T-105 has 225AH.

I also noticed there appears that the 36 V battery pack is tapped for 12V in two places. Tapping the battery pack to run 12V accessories imbalances the pack, shortens the cradle to grave lifespan and reduces runtime. 12V accessories ought to be powered by a separate 12V battery or a 36V to 12V voltage reducer, which drawn from all six batteries evenly.

-----------
To discover the battery pack's health, measure the pack voltage and individual battery voltages about 12 hours after charger shuts off.

Fully charged will be 38.2V for the pack and 6.37V for individual battery and each of the six 6V batteries ought to be with 0.1V of each other.

SoC chart for Trojan brand batteries attached.
1) That's great info! I always thought it would float charge and maintain the charge level! I have experienced this in the past with other batteries but that was when the charger was unplugged. I will get a pic of the charger.
2) So best case if everything is proper then I should only expect 1.75 hours of run time? This helps a lot as I'm not sure how long it should really work for, it just didn't seem that long.

I will look into a voltage converter to change the 12Volt draw, I know the one is for the lights but not sure of the other, maybe the horn.
diver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery draw trouble shooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver6 View Post
1) That's great info! I always thought it would float charge and maintain the charge level! I have experienced this in the past with other batteries but that was when the charger was unplugged. I will get a pic of the charger.
2) So best case if everything is proper then I should only expect 1.75 hours of run time? This helps a lot as I'm not sure how long it should really work for, it just didn't seem that long.

3. I will look into a voltage converter to change the 12Volt draw, I know the one is for the lights but not sure of the other, maybe the horn.
1. Not all that many golf cart chargers went into a float charge following the regular charge and thanks to the Republik of Kalafornia's electrical usage regulations, there are next to none currently being sold.

2. We don't typically draw our batteries down to 50% SoC, so only about half that long if the average amp draw is 75A. However, that is pedal time and rather than trip time.

A golf cart is designed to carry two golfers and their clubs over groomed trails for two rounds of golf on a single charge. A round of golf is 18 holes, is about six or seven miles long and is broken up into 18 or more trips of two hundred yards or so with the cart resting ten minutes or so of between trips. That is also with 225AH batteries rather than 210AH batteries.

In other words, they are designed to have a range of about 12 to 14 miles on a single charge, but usually do more than that with healthy batteries and well maintained cables, contacts and connections. When my PDS was stock, it would go an estimated 23.1 miles on a single charge, but that was in mild hill mode and regen braking was putting some amps back in the batteries going down hills and slowing to stops.

The batteries would only charge to 97% SoC (38.1V) at the time and they were at 70% SoC (37.1V) after 12.7 miles over a mixed terrain of pavement, gravel, dirt and grass surfaces going up and down hills with varying steepness with some stop and go on city streets mixed in.

When I upgraded to a DCX400 controller, the range jumped to 30.6 miles, but the batteries had regained some storage capacity by them and would then charge to 100% SoC. So the 7.5 mile improvement was a combination of better batteries as well as a more efficient controller.

3. Run all 12V accessories off a voltage reducer or separate 12V battery.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO