lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-16-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
Derekfarm
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 1989 EZGO speed issues and charge question

Picked up my first 36 volt golf cart. $600 got a 1989 Ezgo golf cart. Put new wires and 215ahr batteries in it. Guy I got from put new silinoid in it. Took out today and max speed it will do is 8mph. Reverse goes faster. I clean the speed control point good. This a speed control issue or motor?

Also cart came with an Ezgo total charger 1. Old green one. Found bad fuse and board. Changed both. I have no manual to tell me how long to charge these new battery’s. Has a timer I can set up to 12 hours. I plug into the batteries and it for 2 hours now it has continuously read 20 amps and it’s up to 39.80 volts dc. Is this right? I don’t want to kill these new batteries. Any guidance be great.
Derekfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989 EZGO speed issues and charge question

The TC-I (Picture attached and schematic) shuts off when the on-charge voltage reaches 45V +/-1V. The timer shuts the charger off if the on-charge voltage doesn't reach the cutoff voltage withing 12 hours.

Turn know to Start and let it run until it shuts off by itself. The first charge of new batteries may take u[p to about 20 hours, so you may have to start it again if the 12 hour timer shuts it off.

The charger is going to put out its max amps until the on-charge voltage climbs above about 40V, then taper off to about 7A until it automatically shuts off.

What make/model batteries?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TC-I Model 20484.jpg (302.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Total Charge.jpg (191.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
Derekfarm
Not Yet Wild

JohnnieB awesome info about chargers. These are not top of line they are what I could afford and make the golf cart move before trick or treating for the family. Battery are Oct 2020 Duracell GC2 215 amp hour. I will start the long charge now.

As for golf cart speed. On flat ground max speed 9 mph and on hills it’s 7.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Does it have resistor coils, or a speed controller?

It'll probably run better when you get the batteries charged.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:55 AM   #5
Derekfarm
Not Yet Wild

Has the one big resitor and the speed controller with points.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #6
handtools
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekfarm View Post
Picked up my first 36 volt golf cart. $600 got a 1989 Ezgo golf cart. Put new wires and 215ahr batteries in it. Guy I got from put new silinoid in it. Took out today and max speed it will do is 8mph. Reverse goes faster. I clean the speed control point good. This a speed control issue or motor?

Also cart came with an Ezgo total charger 1. Old green one. Found bad fuse and board. Changed both. I have no manual to tell me how long to charge these new battery’s. Has a timer I can set up to 12 hours. I plug into the batteries and it for 2 hours now it has continuously read 20 amps and it’s up to 39.80 volts dc. Is this right? I don’t want to kill these new batteries. Any guidance be great.
You might have the wiring backwards for the half speed reverse?
handtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #7
Derekfarm
Not Yet Wild

Hand tools. Charged batteries per Johnnie B and the forward and reverse both do 9mph. I put my twi kids on back and go up slight incline. Well just a drive way and barely does 7mph. Sound like wired wrong or maybe resistor and old style speed controller?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #8
Derekfarm
Not Yet Wild

Anyone got a schematic of the wiring?
Old 10-17-2020, 09:12 AM   #9
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Does the cart look like this under the seat? If so it is a resistor cart and doesn't have a controller. It's not solid state. Speed is regulated as the wiper arm moves across the speed board. Wiring diagram should be in the stickies tho I haven't looked lately. As you push the accelerator slowly you should feel four distinct speeds. When working properly cart should run 12-14 mph on level pavement with one adult and and tire pressure above about 15psi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7220317.JPG (279.5 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

For wiring diagram look here: https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=1536 at post #3. Three versions. Pick the one that is easiest for you.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO