lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2010, 03:49 AM   #1
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Post 36 volt to 48 volt Conversion?

Hey guys,

I have a 1994 EZGO Marathon. I want to convert to 48 volts for the speed
advantage. I am planning on getting the Trojan T-860s. (Any other battery
recommendations)? I need to know if I need anything else for a successful
conversion, other than the 800 or so dollars to get the batteries. Oh and, kind of a random question, what's a series cart? And what's a sepex cart? Thanks for your help.
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
huntinghawk
Gone Wild

Default Re: 36 volt to 48 volt Conversion?

I think you will need a 48volt solenoid.
Ross
huntinghawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
roady89
nimda
Club Car

You'll need a 48 volt controller, (or controller capable of handling 48 volts) 48 volt solenoid, 48 volts worth of batts and a 48 volt charger.

A series motor/cart the motor field and armature are wired in series with one another. A SEPEX motor/cart the field and armature are sperately excited.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
BLACK DEATH
Gone Wild

Club Car

Stupid me for asking this question as i am a gas cart guy but my dad wont get rid of his electric ezgo to go to gas. Anyhow, I thought you could just put the 48 volt batteries in and it would work. I thought I had read of others that have done this and it works with no issues. I thought they said that it could heat something up if you run part throttle or similar and this would be the only issues. My dad needs new batteries so now is the time to figure out what we are gonna do and I am gonna do the work. Id rather do the upgrade now to 48 volts than to say I shouldve done it. How much is a 48 volt solenoid and a 48 volt charger? I doubt i will find em used where I am from.
BLACK DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. Will the charger I have now charge the 48 volt batteries? Or would I have to get a new charger?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezgokid View Post
Thanks guys. Will the charger I have now charge the 48 volt batteries? Or would I have to get a new charger?
No, you need a 48 volt charger.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Ok. Thank you. Can you recommend a place where I can find that at a pretty low price?

Thanks
Old 04-18-2010, 11:20 AM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DEATH View Post
Stupid me for asking this question as i am a gas cart guy but my dad wont get rid of his electric ezgo to go to gas. Anyhow, I thought you could just put the 48 volt batteries in and it would work. I thought I had read of others that have done this and it works with no issues. I thought they said that it could heat something up if you run part throttle or similar and this would be the only issues. My dad needs new batteries so now is the time to figure out what we are gonna do and I am gonna do the work. Id rather do the upgrade now to 48 volts than to say I shouldve done it. How much is a 48 volt solenoid and a 48 volt charger? I doubt i will find em used where I am from.
If its a RESISTOR cart then you can usually do this but we are talking about a controller cart...dont get confused because there is a difference. Some 36 volt solenoids will work on 48 while others will fry. It's best to just get a 48 volt solenoid ad be done with it.

On a controller cart you can't simply put 48 volts worth of batteries and it work unless the controller and other components can handle the voltage. MOST controller carts are 36 volts.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Roady where exactly is the current controller located on the Marathon?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
mrphilf
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok so I have converted everything, motor, controller, FNR switch, 2ga cables and been running 36v for about 8 months like that. I just installed the 8v Trojans and the 48v solenoid and now I got nothing. No movement at all. I have 51.3 volts registering.

I'm pretty sure I have everything wired as it was at 36v, although I am going to double check that tonight. After trying the accelerator and getting nothing I lifted the seat and had a slight smell of something electrical burning.

Question - do I still use the 2 jumpers I used on the 36v solenoid on the new 48v one?
mrphilf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36volt, 48volt, conversion, volt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO