lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #21
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Locked up motor after long downhill run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarrym View Post
Second thing I checked - the bearing feels good, no rumbling or rough spots.

Since the armature is way too big for my small shop lathe, I think I'll just order a PQ Bandit motor and go from there. The charger arrived today and I'm recharging the batteries now, will check them later (gotta pick up a hydrometer).

Thanks for the input, not sure what else I can check at this point until I get a new motor installed?
Good choice!
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #22
dbarrym
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

An update - Motor arrived, installed it, turns over now but has no power. I think I have a second issue, potentially with the charger. I charged overnight using the 48V Powercharger, but never saw the ammeter go above 2A (it did start at 2A, drop to 0 for few seconds, consistent with the self-test, then back up to 2A max).

Battery pack, no load, measures 49.8V...but under load (rear end jacked up, throttle to the floor, wheels turning but not quickly) that drops to 36V. I reset the OBC and tried charging again. Checking individual cells shows 1 battery potentially bad (no load voltage is 8.2V, the rest are 8.4V) but nothing that prevent the battery charger from completing a full charge.

While I chase down a suitable digital voltmeter to do the transformer and diode testing on the charger (my 35+ year old Simpson analog is a PITA to read these days!), any suggestions on what might be the problem? Charger hums, relay clicks, etc but won't charge beyond 2A per the charger's ammeter.

Short edit: Under charge, I see 62V across the batteries...so the charger is putting voltage out, just not enough current.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Love that handle on the Plum Quick motor, installation only took about five minutes (I should mention that I have limited strength in my left arm, the handle made it a simple process to drop in, unlike removing it!).
dbarrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #23
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

check the heatsink and diodes if its only going to 2 and dropping i,m not sure if a bad diode will do this but i would check them................and yes take load test on every battery if its dropping to 36 volts eith a battery or batteries and or cables, how is the S/G in each cell?.......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #24
dbarrym
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So I finally have a decent DVM and came up with some more (bad) news....!

Both diodes in the Powerdrive charger (model 17930) are open; I'll replace these. I'll try and get locally first as it is only a $20 part (#1015914 - PD HEATSINK Assembly). Should I change anything else, like the circuit breaker, at the same time? FWIW it appears the charger was not taken care of or stored properly in its prior life, it was covered with heavy dirt/silt and plant debris inside with some corrosion of the bolt/nut connections (probably explains the failure of the diodes). I've cleaned them all as best I could using a brass brush, tuner cleaner and WD-40.

Second, I've checked all the batts individually (unlike before) and sure enough, at least two batteries are bad - each has at least one bad cell per hydrometer, another cell is marginal, unloaded voltage on both batts is at 6.5V - my auto-sensing HD 12V charger won't even feed them any current.

So, I have a tough decision to make - replace the two with used batteries, or buy new? I don't plan on keeping the cart for long - my Dad already bought a new one - so whatever results in the highest return (selling price vs. repair cost) would be my choice. I know that battery condition is a big part of resale value, but not sure if putting another $700 (on top of the $350 for the new motor) would be a good investment on an otherwise great condition 2002 model.

Might have to go whole hog and do a lift kit, wheels, lights, custom paint, controller and have some fun...
Old 01-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #25
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

if it were me for the price of a CB i would change it, as for batteries if you can find 2 good used ones go for it....................................
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #26
dbarrym
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
if it were me for the price of a CB i would change it, as for batteries if you can find 2 good used ones go for it....................................
Pardon my newbie-ness...what's a CB?

err...nevermind, I got it!

Barry
Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #27
dbarrym
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well, it appears that two replacement batteries plus the new charger heatsink solved the problems.

I've decided to upgrade and play with it a bit, so I'm sure I'll be posting again. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #28
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarrym View Post
Well, it appears that two replacement batteries plus the new charger heatsink solved the problems.

I've decided to upgrade and play with it a bit, so I'm sure I'll be posting again. Thanks for the help!
........thanks for the update..........................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car